Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #21 
fidget

I pm'd you some aquafarm info. you should look at the reviews on amazon. there are a lot of helpful tips there.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #22 
sunlight

How is your betta doing? I am not familiar with the tank but if there is not filter and if you was doing only 50% water changes a week, and i am not sure if you vacuumed the gravel at all, you really need to do a lot of more water changes. If he still not better i would really do water changes.
Even if you have the filter you still need to do more water changes for the tank size that you have. And if you would have the filter, even a sponge filter you would need to give sponge a quick squeeze every time you do a water change. And if you would have the filter then you still need to rinse the filter in the tank water.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #23 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileysmum View Post
If you hadn't changed the water for aa month in a 3 gal tank he could have amonia poisoning. What kind of water conditioner do you use?

You know what's funny yet sad?
I went to petsmart the other day and asked some random question, if a 50% water change every two to three days is ok for a cycling tank. She told me, "I have no idea where you are getting your information at, but you don't need too clean a 3 gallon tank for a month! I think fish employes at these stores are giving their customers the wrong info! D=
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #24 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
it already 4 wks with 50% water changes and obviously fish acting a little sick.... and it already was recent water change that didn't help.
That water change was the first and only water change done at that point. They didn't do 4 weeks with 50% changes, but one 50% change after 4 weeks.

Plants consume ammonia and nitrite, as well as nitrate. Some people say they are better at consuming ammonia and nitrite than they are nitrate.

The fish was active in the same water temp as it is now, so I don't think the water temp is a factor in the fishs change of behavior. Since the change occurred immediately after the water change, it is likely related. Perhaps one of the parameters changed too much. That's NOT a reason not to do water changes, but rather a reason to do more changes. The closer the tank water is to the source water the better.

Have you tested the water? Now or at any time throughout the month?

Last edited by jaysee; 10-15-2013 at 09:49 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

wow jaysee you are right, i didn't even see that , because i didn't even thought that it can be no water change for that long! He really needs a water change !
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #26 
alohafish

Thanks, all!

He seemed kind of quiet on the bottom of the tank when I came home from work, but he did perk up and swim around when I came by, and he did eat. Color still pale, but I think he is doing better. Changed water again this evening - about 30-40%. Aquafarm folks are sending me some new supplies to hopefully jumpstart the whole symbiosis system.

Seems like the best thing I can do for now is to keep changing water periodically, at least until I can get the whole system working the way it is supposed to (assuming that I can).

I really appreciate the support. I'll certainly be back if I need more advice!
alohafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #27 
alohafish

Any ideas about algae? The water was completely clear until mid last week when it started turning greenish (which is also when this trouble started). Now, despite 50% water changes Saturday and Monday, and about 40% today, there is still a slight greenish tinge (although it is much better). What's up with that? What would cause it to change, if I didn't do anything different?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #28 
ANHEL123

I don't cycle my tanks and i never have this problem because i rinse weekly my tanks, but i think people who's tanks are cycled wipe the walls. You probobly can use plain white pepper towel without colored print, or i know stores sell Python Algae mitt not sure if those are expansive, or you can find find something similar not that expansive .
Also there is a lot of waste under that gravel so you need to take it out. You can remove it with a siphon or even go buy a turkey buster . I saw pet store i went they sell waste remover. All that derbies has to be removed, even if water seems to be clear you still need to remove the waste.
If he is not doing better i would really do daily water changes , take everything out of the tank and rinse it . Or you can put him in the hospital tank and with clean water and do water changes there. He is sick from not enough water changes and might has ammonia poisoning. That is my opinion.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #29 
ANHEL123

Fidget your recommended reviews on Amazon is very good. I also looked that up.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #30 
alohafish

UPDATE: Leo is doing much better!

I really appreciated all the helpful advice I got here, so I thought I would let you all know that my betta is now doing much better. I ended up taking him out of that tank entirely and putting him in a temporary smaller bowl, so that I could treat him with small amounts of aquarium salt (someone else recommended to me). I also got a small heater. After a week in a 1/2 gallon bowl, with daily water changes (about 98% - just kept enough to transfer him in), and water temp between 76-78, he is now a beautiful dark blue, maybe even nicer than when I first bought him. He swims around happily, and I almost never see him just lounging on the bottom of the bowl. His fins look much healthier, too. Now he is back in plain fresh water, no salt, and doing great.

I do have new supplies to restart the aquafarm tank, and will do that once I have time to thoroughly clean the system and refresh everything, most likely on the weekend. But this time, I will know better what to watch for to make sure he is happy, and to change his water more often.

Thanks for all the support! I am glad to be able to report a happy outcome.