Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 
chi

Unhappy over fed HELP

I normally give my betta 2-3 pellets a day. unfortunately some extra food was dropped in his tank now his stomach is distended. so far hes acting ok though a little lethargic. Is there anything to help him. Obviously he isnt going to be fed maybe for a couple of days
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He'll be fine ^_^ I generally give my boy's 6-8 pellets a day! lol so, your boy will be totally fine. You can feed him again tomorrow if he's not so bloated.

What kind of pellets do you feed? From the sounds, and this is just a guess, you're not feed Omega One or New Life Spectrum. The reason I ask is because lesser foods will make your Betta bloat easier since they hold more fillers in them. Filler's are things like Wheat, Corn and Soybean, these are things that Betta's can't digest. So the lesser quality foods put filler's in their food to make it cheaper but it's not good.

When looking for foods you want to look at the first three ingredients, those are the most important. If you see anything pertaining to Wheat, Corn or Soybean, it's not as good. So Omega One has no filler's in it's first three making it a wonderful food! New Life has one filler but it makes up with having garlic and spirulina in the food which is amazing! Garlic is also an anti-parasitic food, it's not going to completely keep your fish without parasites but it certainly helps!

Anywho, good food means you can feed him more because it's more nutritional and they won't get bloated or constipated as much!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 
chi

thanks

i feed him aqueon betta food, i was careless and had a good bit of pellets stuck on my finger ,(didnt know this at the time),so when i went to feed him all the pellets went in and i couldnt get them out fast enough. That was a lesson learned. Unfortunately the few local pet stores dont really have many choices with food.His belly is quite distended. So Ill probably have to wait awhile to feed him hes crazy he still want more. So how long on average does it take for his belly to go down? What do I do if he gets constipated?

Last edited by chi; 10-16-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Can you get pictures of him? I can tell you if he's actually bloated or if it's indeed a healthy fatness Betta's aren't supposed to be skinny and should be sort of fat, well at least after feeding. So there's a chance he's not bloated technically, but I know many people don't know what a healthy Betta should look like. Totally not your fault don't worry! It's just something that doesn't ever really occur until something like this might happen

PetCo has been starting to carry NLS which is great but they always have Omega One as well as Petsmart I believe, so that one I know you can find somewhere. Otherwise, if you have access to; you can buy online as well.

If he's truly constipated you won't see him poop in three day's or more and he'll continue to have that bloat so we'll see what happens in a day or two and then we can talk about constipation more then.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #5 
chi

bloated

oh im pretty sure hes bloated hes never been this fat after eating or any other time Im posting a picture though its not very good. he looks like hes pregnant. As far as going to the bathroom Ive had him for 2 months and Ive never seen him go .
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, yeah he's bloated. Sorry, I don't mean to doubt you or anything!

Have you noticed little orangy/brown curly solid looking things on the gravel in the tank or anywhere at all? Those would be his poops, you don't necessarily have to catch him in the act of pooing but just to see the poo is good.

Otherwise, there's something you can get from your pharmacy or wal-mart. It's called Epsom Salt, you won't find it at a pet store. You want to look for 100% Magnesium Sulfate, no additives, no scent and no dye, 100% pure. It's a natural laxative used to help reduce swelling and it helps sometimes to get a fish's intestines moving to clean him out.

You'll want to use 1 tsp per gallon, so say it's a 5 gallon tank, you'll use 5 teaspoons. ALWAYS dissolve the salt before putting it in the tank, when salt dissolves it actually creates heat which can burn your fish if you don't dissolve first. So I use a little plastic cup and some tank water and generally dissolve 1 teaspoon at a time since it's easier. I swirl my cup around, you can stir or do whatever to get it to start to melt. Then using a teaspoon spoon 1-3 teaspoons into the tank every 5-10 minutes so he can get used to it over a little while.

You can keep the salt in until your next water change. If he hasn't pooped or slimmed down in 3 day's then we can either up the dosage or you can try to find some Daphnia, Petsmart sells some generally in a small container with both freeze-dried bloodworms and freeze-dried brine shrimp. Don't give your boy freeze-dried bloodworms at all, if he's got issues digesting things then those will only make it worse. But Daphnia is a natural laxative and much easier for them to digest than using salt.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #7 
chi

bloated

thanks I had some epsom salt and added it to the tank. As far as his poops I havent noticed any but the gravel is brown so.... I have some daphnia and thanks I didnt know about the bloodworms. But I guess Ill be waiting awhile before Ill be feeding him again. No worries I wasnt thinking you were doubting me.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great, that should help him out a bit! You can feed him one daphnia tomorrow anyway since it will help his digestive tract out.

Tonight, it might help him if you cover his tank with a towel and keep the lights out of course. It's just going to calm him down is all which might aide in digestion, I'm just speculating but doesn't hurt to try
Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #9 
chi

epsom salt

thank you so much! The epsom salt worked hes doing much better and swimming around. I found the Omega one betta pellets.(Had to drive 60 miles round trip but found them).I will be much more careful in the future.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great ^_^ glad to hear. Yeah with the Omega you can feed up to 6-8 pellets a day and it won't hurt them. A bit of a stomach bulge is good for when you're feeding and then it will diminish through the day as they metabolize and digest their food It won't be as easy to over feed them thankfully with the better food. Obviously if it's got in there by accident like what happen to you, it can't be helped much lol.

You can get a turkey baster from a store that sells kitchen utensils so you can suck most of the food out before your fish get's to them. I do that, it also serves to suck up poop on the day's there aren't water changes. It doesn't replace a water change but keeps your tank looking nice ^_^