Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #1 
Luminescent

Young steel/rose DT male breeding suggestion

Rescued this guy from a lfs about 4 weeks ago- much smaller then.

He is irridescent steel Blue with red ventrals. Depending on the light he looks very 'Rosey Purple or Ashey color. He is a DT but seems to have a HM spread.

Under the 6500k:

Under the standard white:

Full Album here:
http://imgur.com/a/I2zQQ

I am looking for suggestions of female types to breed him with and also for information on what you might think is in his background.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

Hmm. Interesting color for sure. Wonder what crossing to a salamander would look like...
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #3 
bambijarvis

crossing to salamander would introduce more red and a blue irrid instead oft the coppery-grey.

I'd say find a nice copper HM girl. or a metalic steel blue. if you find a HM girl with an extended dorsal she carries DT and will give you some DT fry. But don't buy a DT girl, dt x dt = more spine issues.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He is a double Tail (DT) copper. It is said that coppers have a steel blue + metallic background. But if you cross them to irids, you will get more turquoise/green than any other irid. What I love about them is that they show different colors with different light angles.

IME:
Copper x turquoise = majority turquoise, steel green (light shiny green), copper, seldom = steel blue (metallic and regular) and royal blue.
Copper x steel blue = all irid colors, copper, metallic green and steel blue
Copper x royal blue = same as x steel blue

NOTE: I notice there have been shift in results to the above crosses due to over crossing this color. Nowadays, for example, you can get dominant copper colored fry when crossing to turquoise.

To ensure copper colored fry, it would be best to breed to another copper. But crossing to any irid colors should give you a number of coppers.
As for the DT trait, it is best to breed to a single tail HM. You should get DT genos (often longer dorsal or uneven caudal lobes). Do not breed to another DT as that may bring out genetic defects that come with the DT trait.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, adding red (any color containing or belonging to the red line) to it will give you a lot of red coppers (copper body with red fins). Crossing to white opaque should eventually give you platinum (never tried from scratch)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote