Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #1 
litelboyblu

Breeding question

okay so i was just thinking what would you get if you cross a feather tail with a hm? wouldnt you get mostly messed up fish that have weird messed up tails???
right? im still not used to genetics but im getting to learn more and also what would you get if you cross a bicolor orange with a blue/black/white betta? also a bicolor orange x a white betta and last but not least a bicolor orange with a bicolor orange ?? i need these answered quick and do you think my bettas can survive 4 days without food (including my goldies)
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #2 
PetMania

I am also interested in what you would get. Bettas can survive 4 days without food.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 
bambijarvis

Yes they can survive 4 days without food.
on feather tails:
It would depend on the genetics of both fish.
I wouldn't breed a feathertail to a closely related sibling or a HM from a line that has feathers. As the chance of them carrying the x factor genes is higher.
But, that being said. You shouldn't cross doubletail to doubletail, since DT's are more prone to spine deformities. That doesn't make a DT a bad fish. It has positive traits when bred to a single tail fish.
You can use feather tail/rose tail to increase the branching in your line if you see it starting to go down.
If the fish otherwise looks good you should be fine.
If you don't already own the feather tail I would suggest getting a regular HM or slight rosetail though instead of the excessive feather tail.

with the colors,same thing. It depends on their genetics.
You'll likely get some mixed/multi colored spawns. Orange tends to throw red fry unless paired with another orange.
So that last pairing(orange x orange) should give you some orange in the fry.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #4 
Jayloo

You are going to get a bunch of multi-color fish from all those mixes. especially if the marble gene is anywhere... fry dont start to require food until day 3 after hatching. if you have live plants in the tank I would say they can eat from infusnoria... but in that case, why don't the fry have food?
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #5 
litelboyblu

thanks guys!
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by litelboyblu View Post
okay so i was just thinking what would you get if you cross a feather tail with a hm? wouldnt you get mostly messed up fish that have weird messed up tails???
right? im still not used to genetics but im getting to learn more and also what would you get if you cross a bicolor orange with a blue/black/white betta? also a bicolor orange x a white betta and last but not least a bicolor orange with a bicolor orange ?? i need these answered quick and do you think my bettas can survive 4 days without food (including my goldies)
A feather tail, to my knowledge, was achieved from rather extreme rose tails. BE EXTRA CARFUL since they are more likely to carry the x factor which is very hard to clean out once it's in your line. They are gorgeous but often not advised to be bred.

As bambi suggested, it would be best to breed it to a non related 4 ray HM or a DeT. This wont ensure the suppression of the x factor but it is the safest way to go. But if any of the fry show deformities (often at a later age) you might have to cull all of them because others will be carriers and will pass it on to their offspring.

I agree with what's been said about color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote