Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
kjnewcome

Sorority Question

Right now I have a 10g sorority with 6 girls, no other fish. I have a 55g that I am hoping to turn into a sorority this coming spring/summer. I would love to do live plants but I don't know where to start so I have some questions.

What are the best live plants (easy to care for, I don't have a green thumb)?
What is the best substrate?
Best heater?
Best filter?
Best tank Mates?
Lighting?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Easy Plants: Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Anacharis, Cabomda, Valisneria, Crypt's, most Swords, floaters (duckweed, salvinia, red root floaters, etc.), Sagittaria, Rotala, Ludwigia, Bacopa, Dwarf Lilies and some more that I know I'm probably forgetting.

Best Substrate Depends on what you want to do, if you want to go NPT then I know Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix is a great way to go and then you'd just have a sand or fine gravel cap. Or you can use Eco-Complete or some other enhanced substrate for plants. With Eco-Complete you don't need a sand cap or anything, although many mix it in with gravel or sand to cover more ground and you don't have to buy lots of expensive stuff.

Best heater that's more a personal choice really. You definitely want something adjustable though, never do non-adjustable, it's just not worth it. I like Hydor heater's quite a bit, Eheim is another great brand, even Aqueon adjustable ones are fine, Marineland and more. I know Hydor is most cheap out of most of those options and can be found cheap at drsfosterandsmith.com or maybe ebay as well.

Best filter Also depends. For NPT's you don't need a filter technically but doesn't mean you can't have one. Sponge filters are wonderful if you don't want something with a lot of current but AquaClears have been voted one of the better ones since they are so highly customizable. I can't say about Canister type filters though, I know some use them as well.

Best Tank Mates If you're looking to move your sorority to the 55, I suggest highly to get more females than just six. Other's have had issues where it's just too much space for the girls and whenever they meet up, it's like they're meeting for the first time all over again and aggression becomes very bad. So bumping numbers up to 15-20 would be optimal. Otherwise I suggest no other schooling fish as these tend to stress out the girls quite a bit. So the other options would be cory's, always a favorite among sororities since the girls and cories don't share the same space which means neither will stress out the other, making for a very happy tank.

Lighting I like to use these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...1#.UbXvOOc3szY if you do not have a hood. Otherwise you can use the hood that came with it and use fluorescent bulbs/tubes. You want to find 6,500 or 6,700K bulbs/tubes to fit them as that will give you the best lighting options to grow your plants.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 
kjnewcome

Thanks for all the info :)
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Welcome ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote