Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #11 
TaylerHill

A few more questions. This weekend I went to my local fish store to see if they had pure ammonia by chance and of course they didn't. When I asked them about it they looked at me like I was crazy and said they had never heard of using pure ammonia to cycle a tank. They sold me a bottle of NutraFin to use instead. It says it establishes a cycle immediately. Is this method ok to use or should I keep looking for ammonia?
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #12 
TaylerHill

Another question, my local fish store houses their female bettas together in a 10 gallon, so will that make things easier for me since they pretty much already know each other?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You won't find ammonia at your fish store, you'll find that at wal-mart or Ace hardware or stores of the like. You can use the NutraFin but you need to have an ammonia source still, so you can get a fish like a Tetra or something cheap to have in there for the two weeks that your colony needs to build itself up. However that one fish won't produce as much ammonia as your girls will, so when you throw the girls in it will overload your cycle causing an ammonia spike while the bacteria catches up to the ammonia.

So I would try to find the pure ammonia if I were you, you can use that for a 'just in case' method when you do throw the girls in just to make sure everything is all set, but otherwise it's kind of pointless to be using.

And yes, if you get those girls at the store then you can basically just throw all six in, if you're getting them right away. If you want just four of them then put the four in and when you find your fifth/and or sixth fish that you want, that's when you'll need to QT them two weeks and float them at least for 1 week in the tank so that the girls already in the tank can get to know the new one.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I guess you're lucky that your fish store even knows what cycling is...let alone the best way to do it. Take the Nutrafin Cycle back. It's not useless (it helps prepare a good environment for bacteria to get started) but it doesn't provide the bacteria you need. If you want to gert bottled bacteria, I suggest these: Tetra Safstart is easy to find, but must be fresh (check the sell-by date) and never have been exposed to heat or cold. Most of the time it's OK. Same with ATM Colony, API Quickstart or Niteout. Seachem Stabikity has worked for some keepers. Arguably the best (and most expensive) is Dr Tim's One-and-Only, shipped fresh from the factory in an insulated container to ensure freshness and viability.

These produsct were designed to promote fish-in cycling, using the fish as an ammonia source. If you're cycling for a sorority, I'd suggest fishless cycling, using pure ammonia in order to develop a large bacteria colony to accommodate the large bioload of a sorority which should be stocked all at once. You can buy "pure" ammonia at Ace Hardware (Janitorial strength) or online from Dr Tim (on Amazon, Dr Foster and Smith, etc.), kind of expensive.

Buying a sorority whose members are already used to each other and have already established a hierarchy is a great way to go. Saves you QT time and pecking order time and stress.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #15 
TaylerHill

Sweet I will head to Ace after work then. You have both been so helpful! Right now in my 10 gal that im putting the sorority in I have one molly fry. He's the only one that survived from my last batch of fish. He is a little over a month old. I feel like it is a waste of space to have such a small guy in my big tank while I'm trying to get it ready for a sorority. How small of a tank would be ok to put him in other than my 10 gal?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #16 
TaylerHill

So the molly fry didn't make it, so I'm in the process of cleaning the tank and preparing it for the sorority. I rinsed everything in really hot water and let it dry to kill anything that killed the mollies. I had gravel in the bottom which I also rinsed and let dry. Can I use the same gravel or should I get new gravel?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use the same gravel, most likely it wasn't a disease that killed the fry. I find most livebearer fry aren't as hardy as Betta's. That's just my opinion and experience, don't know if it's fact or not. But you should be fine to go
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote