Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #11 
bambijarvis

having just those two girls together is like asking for a fight to break out. You can always divide the tank.
I'm not going to tell you how to keep your fish though. In fact if you do keep those two together I'd love to hear how things turn out and how they behave given space to claim their own "territories".
The girls are lovely.

The spawning setup sounds great too. :) are you setting up a sponge filter? Any chance of photos of the pool-pond? Sounds nice.

Last edited by bambijarvis; 10-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #12 
nobbles

I have kept 2 females together a couple years ago, so ill risk it now. I've been watching them yesturday. And they all settled down and have idetified the 2 fish that stayed away from the first couple fights. But the other 8 are going to the pet shop today. At the moment I have corner filters in all tanks. But I'm sorting through some filters for the breeding tanks. Ill more than likely use a sponge filter as I'm very unsure on the pulling power of the corner filters. I am worried about the fry getting sucked in. Next time I'm at my dads plave ill tank a pictur of the pond. My pump broke during our winter so water has turned brown. But when I first converted it, I let it sit for a year with only rain water topping it up. Than added sword tails and guppies to get the full cycle going. Also a lot of fresh water shrimp and crabs to help get through the leaves and that on the bottom. I have some koi in there now and cichlids. But haven't been able to see them with the waer as it is.
nobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The female you showed looks to be a partial green dragon. The VT male looks like (what I call) a green-red/red green classic color. Crossing those colors should give you a rainbow of colors.

VT x HM should mainly give you VTs but you should also get VT with wider caudal and or round (or at least rather round) tails. Considering that I believe female fins are dominant over male's, thus you should get some delta tails as well.

If you want to work towards HM, breed the DeT male fry back to his mother. You should get one or two HM. But if you don't mind the results, breed for color - what ever is popular in your area.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #14 
nobbles

Thanks indjo. I agree on the dragon, found some pictures to day of that variation. Certainly not black orchid. But I expected that. I am just getting my breeding set up into gear, so will see what off spring I get. I've kept 4 females I plan breeding with. I have a very basic game plan in mind, but I will breed 2 spawnS from each male. Select, if I can the deltas. Breed them again, than look to introduce crown tail into the mix. Just want to see what I can end up with. But will see how it goes. I do want to breed out some of VT and get a 120 to 160 degree king of tail.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Working from scratch could take a long time. It would be cheaper in the long run if you bought a HM male.

When you add CT to your line, make sure to choose the ones with the strongest fins. Otherwise your CT offspring will have floppy rays - not too attractive. BTW it will also take you several generations to achieve your goal. You will have uneven web reduction in F1 and F2. If bred right, you might get a few good CT or comb tails in F3
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #16 
nobbles

I'm prepared to take the time to get it right. If it takes 2 years so be it. Lol also gives me time to learn the dominant and recessive gene's are. I have. Question, my other male is a, I think royal blue VT with some red on the fins. I assume crossing with those same females will produce the same as my red chap? Just dominant colours being the blue
Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Actually of all the irid colors, blue is the most recessive - in the sense that you need both steel blue and turquoise genes. Without both they will either be steel blue or turquoise.

You should get non dragon mostly because the females are partial dragons. You can breed the most drgn scaled to improve that scaling. As for color, you should get all irid colors (steel blue, green/turquoise, and royal blue) any of which could show red wash or solid.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #18 
nobbles

I have the female in mind. Has the scaling more than half of her body. I have a paler female, shehas non of the dark colouration. Ill take a pic. I'm thinking of cossing the red male with the darker female and the light female to the blue.