Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Question Setting up a tank?

I found one of our old tanks today. My mom thinks that it is a 10g. Not sure yet, I'll measure it later.
Anyway, it has dirt in it from when we had our tortoise in it. It has been sitting in the shed for 6 months or so.
I'm currently rinsing out the dirt. But what else do I do to make it betta safe?
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #2 
ScuitoAmi150

Also, how do I clean it when the fish are in it? I don't think I can pick it and dump it when it is full.
How often do I clean it?
Should I cycle it? HOW do I cycle? Every time I ask people always tell me what it is, but never how to do it.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

1. Dilute some vinegar and give it a good scrubbing.. rinse and repeat several times. When you're finished rinse again and let dry. DONT USE SOAP!
2. When you set it up your going to want to get a gravel vacuum. This is the easiest way to clean gravel.
3. You don't have to do a cycle but it is highly recommended on tanks 5+gallons.

Cycling depends on how you want to do it. Fish out is quick and 100% safe. Fish in is longer and more involved. Once you decide HOW your going to cycle we can tell you how to do it. Either way you'll need a filter, heater, gravel or some other substrate, gravel vac, and a LIQUID test kit.. the strips are garbage.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

I don't need a heater, it is going on my dresser which is right above the heater. So it stays warm. I don't have good luck with filters so could I just use the syphon?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

I'm not going to put gravel in it, forgot to mention that.

If I don't cycle the tank, how do I clean it? Cause like I said before, filters and I don't get along.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

A 10 gallon uncycled is a pain.. plus without filter or heater its not any better than a smaller tank. You need a filter to aerate your water and a heater to make sure your tank is heated evenly without cold spots (a filter comes into play here). Unless you keep your house at 80 year round I really think you need a filter.

You CAN NOT cycle without a filter or heater.

An uncycled tank you'll have to do 100% water changes weekly.. on a 10 gallon that is a big hassle.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

I could add a filter. But I hate my filter, like literally hate it. I can't even open the stupid thing to clean it. Plus that means extension cords....none of the outlets in my room work so everything has to have extension cords.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #8 
ScuitoAmi150

I just talked to one of my friend's who has bettas and goldfish. She said that if I keep a filter in the tank I should only have to clean out the waste it didn't pick up, & around 10% of the water every week.

Now I won't be able to get my stupid filter back till this weekend. But I really need the tank one of my female is in for my sick male (he can't have a heater in his current temporary tank).
Would Ami be okay being in the 10g until I get the filter back? Also, the filter used to belong to my turtle. And when I got rid of him (not enough room for a growing turtle) I didn't run the filter clean, I just cleaned the parts off with a toothbrush. Do I need to run the filter in the tank first?