Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #1 
zackcrack00

Exclamation Virgin Bettas

Hello! I am Zack! I have a 29 gallon aquarium witha foam divider in it. It cannot be seen through. I lowered the water level and placed a 6-month old male betta on each side. I have 3 pairs of bettas total, all of 6 months of age and have never bred. I conditioned two females in their own separtate containers. I conditioned the males in their own half of the tank, too. I would flare them once a day for about 5 minutes. I have an indian almond leaf in each side of the breeding tank. I placed the females in breeder boxes in each halve of the male's tank. I went to school and came back and and the males and females were flaring at each other and both females had egg tubes out and one had vertical barring. The males had no signs of a bubble nest, and their are floating things in the water. I waited a while and read about bettas breeding without a nest, so I went and let both females out. The males are chasing them and the one has kept her barring. There is no spawning action yet and it is 30 minutes after they were released. The breeder I recieved them from said that virgin bettas are hard to breed because they have never bred before. What is my next move?
zackcrack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hello, welcome to the forum.

It would be best to remove them and (at least) read more about their breeding behavior. You can tell if bettas are ready to breed by looking at the way they swim when they flare. When they fight, they just flare head on and usually hold their position. But when in breeding mode, they flare and swim all over the tank in an "S" style. The females do the same and show breeding bars even though she has been bitten and is running/hiding from the male (the white spot under the female's belly doesn't mean anything. All females have them, regardless of mood).

Virgins aren't hard to breed. They only take longer. Courtship could last around 3 or more days (most virgin females BUT NOT ALL). Thus it would be best to keep them in a safe see through container for a day or two before you release her. This will avoid too much beating. Good hideouts will also help keep the female safe.

Make sure you have supplies and fry food ready before you breed. You can't raise fry in your current set up.

Good luck
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 
zackcrack00

Thanks! I took the males out and placed the females together on one side of the tank. I have everything I need. I was going to wait until the fry hatch and are free-swimming and then take the males out. I would then raise the water level an inch every day and turn on my sponge filters after 2 days on a slow bubble. I was then going to continue to raise the water level until it has filled the tank. The breeder I bought them from said I could get a cheap male from the pet store and let him build a nest in my tank, and then stick the other male in the tank and let him use it as his own bubblenest.
zackcrack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #4 
Jayloo

? that all sounds backwards. you do not want to spawn the fish in the quaters that the males live in... i think you need to give your own males a chance... a better one. sometimes it is hard in the beginning. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. find what works for you. then it will come easier.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME bubble nests aren't important. As long as they "flirt" swim, they will breed.
My method - I never wait for bubble nest nor breeding bar. Since my males are usually in the breeding tank/tub, I float the female (taken from sorority) and see how they react. Or immediately release a veteran female and see how they react. If they flirt, I release (virgins) or leave veteran and check on them the following day (my setups are densely planted so it's fairly safe for the females).

IMO buying a male only to make nests is a waste. You will have to feed and care for him, adding more work.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote