Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Question Sorority help

I'm setting up my 10g tonight. I cleaned it last night. And everyone says I need between 4-6 female bettas in the tank.
My questions:
-Should I start off with 4 and then maybe add another one down the road or is 4 fine?
-When algae starts to grow, what kind of algae eater should I get and how many? (I can't stand having algae in the tank.) Also, what do you feed those?
-Drina and Ami get fed different amounts of food because Drina is younger/smaller than Ami. Drina gets 3 pellets a day and Ami gets 4 or 5 a day. How do you make sure they get what they are supposed to get? Or should I just not worry?
-Should I add a live plant or just stay with the silk?
-How long should I quarantine the new girls before adding them to the tank?
-How do I get the new girls in with my current girls? (Should I float them so they can see Ami & Drina before realizing them?)

What kind of personalities should I look for in the two new girls?
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuitoAmi150 View Post
I'm setting up my 10g tonight. I cleaned it last night. And everyone says I need between 4-6 female bettas in the tank.
My questions:
-Should I start off with 4 and then maybe add another one down the road or is 4 fine?
4 is fine, but the general rule is, the more the better!!!

-When algae starts to grow, what kind of algae eater should I get and how many? (I can't stand having algae in the tank.) Also, what do you feed those?
Well, condsidering you have six girls in your tank, there is no room for any other fish. The only algae eaters that stay small are Otocinclus catfish. But they are really really delicate and need LOTS of algae to survive. Your best bet is to just scrub the algae off when you see it! :D
-Drina and Ami get fed different amounts of food because Drina is younger/smaller than Ami. Drina gets 3 pellets a day and Ami gets 4 or 5 a day. How do you make sure they get what they are supposed to get? Or should I just not worry?
I wouldn't worry too much.
-Should I add a live plant or just stay with the silk?
Depends on your lighting. Either way, you'll need LOTS of plants.
-How long should I quarantine the new girls before adding them to the tank?
1-2 weeks
-How do I get the new girls in with my current girls? (Should I float them so they can see Ami & Drina before realizing them?)
When introducing a new fish, take out ALL the other fish and then rearrange your tank. This way, the girls who have lived there for a while won't get territorial. Then float them all and release them as you feel is a good time. Some like to do the least aggressive first and the most aggressive last.

What kind of personalities should I look for in the two new girls?
Well, when they are at the store, you really can't tell their personality very well. So just take a wild guess. :)
Good luck!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

Thank you! I'm going to go with 4 girls. I have two and they already know each other. They used to have a split tank and they got along.
I'm guessing I can't put those two in the tank until the new girls get out of quarantine?
What about one or two Albino Cory? I used to have those, and they never got above 1.5".
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cories are schooling fish and do better in groups. When you add new girls, you should take everyone out of the tank, do a little rearranging and put them all back in, new girls included.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Cories are schooling fish and do better in groups. When you add new girls, you should take everyone out of the tank, do a little rearranging and put them all back in, new girls included.
Okay. I guess I won't get the Cories.

Should I put Drina and Ami in there now? Or wait till all 4 can go in?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

put them all in at the same time.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

Okay, thank you!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #8 
ScuitoAmi150

When I get my filter back should I put it on the setting so that it blows air out the top or just fountains out the filtered water?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #9 
ScuitoAmi150

It is all set up! I'm getting my filter back this weekend. I really need to go buy some more plants though...but Ami will be the only one in it till next Tuesday. I'm waiting for the water to be room temperature to add her.
-My new girls are adorable! one of like a blue/black and has like zebra stripes. Her fins are the same color as her body, but the bottom one has some orange on it. The other one is pink/purple all over. I'm not sure about the finnage yet, Petco had them marked as just female bettas. I'll see when I get them in the temp. tank.