Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #1 
KristiLee

Exclamation Hole in tail fin =[ !!!!!!!!

I heard a noise coming Henry's tank (like he had jumped and broke the surface of the water), and I looked at him, and noticed a gash/hole in his tail fin, and he was kind of freaked out and cautiously looking at the filter.. I also noticed a couple days ago that the tip of his tail fin was missing, and shortly thereafter I noticed about a centimeter missing from his dorsal fin..

I'm not sure whether it's the filter doing this, or his new cave (which I carefully checked for sharp edges before I purchased).

I have unplugged the filter, but I'm a bit hesitant to take out the cave, as he's taken to hiding in it recently (although he does have a plant to hide in, as well).

I'm using (well.. WAS using..) the filter the came with the 2.5 minibow, with pantyhose tied over the intake part so his fins don't get sucked in.. I tried setting up a Red Sea filter when I first got the tank, but couldn't get it to fit properly.. (Did I do something wrong when trying to set up the tank/ filter?)

Can anybody recommend how to treat it?? I feel so bad for him and hope he's not in any pain.. (Do bettas feel pain when their fins tear?)

Thank you so much
KristiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #2 
kelly528

That's really strange... I doubt it is his filter. Just out of curiosity though what model of filter is it?

He should heal up fine with clean water and a pinch of aquarium salt.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #3 
KristiLee

It's the newer model. And yeah I went to the pet store yesterday and got some stress coat and bettafix, as I couldn't find any aquarim salt (the store COMPLETELY rearranged their fish supplies.. bleh.)...

But now his fin completely split up the middle =[... My guess is it's the new plant I got him to rest on.. It's silk, but the leaves are kind of narrow.. A leaf must have gotten inside the original hole and then ripped it the rest of the way =[...

Oh, bettas, why must you have such delicate fins? Sigh.
KristiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know! Their fins are like wet tissue paper!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote