Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #1 
razorfish

No luck in breeding

As a beginner, I've tried my luck in breeding betta fish but I end up failed.
My bettas embraced but there are no eggs coming out until the male's bubbles suddenly slowly disappeared.
Then again I separate the male and female and conditioned them with frozen worms and Sanyu Betta Gold and introduced them for 30 mins and separated them again. After a week I released the female but she's no longer excited with the male so I removed her because the last time I tried forcing it the female died (maybe coz of stress or the male killed her).

One thing I don't know if the female should have eggs before introducing or releasing her. Do Betta Gold or Frozen worms help female bettas produced eggs? I am worried the female betta will bloat and died coz of overfeeding.
Also, I don't use heater because the climate her is very hot. I put my bettas on a warm room.

Hope your answers can give me more encourage to breed bettas again. Thanks.

Last edited by razorfish; 10-18-2013 at 05:39 AM.
razorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

All females carry eggs since they become sexually mature. They have 2 egg sacks, one of which is emptied during each spawn. One sack will "ripen" as she courts a male. If left together, they can spawn every 3-5 days if eggs are taken out or 5-10 days if eggs are left to hatch (don't attempt this until you have more experience).

First time breeders or virgins take longer courtship and longer releasing eggs, specially if the female is very fat (too fat may disturb egg release). After numerous embraces, eggs will eventually be released. First a few, then more, eventually it will rain eggs. You just need to be patient and let them do their thing. It may take hours. You will know when they're done because the female will stay away or chased away from the nest.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #3 
rakesh3250

dont be upset u learn from each failures the mistake you are making.
i advice you to use atleast a 5 gallon tank, and condition your male and female before breeing by feeding them with either live food such as brineshrimps, bloodworms, etc,. or freeze dried betta food or high quality pellet food or flakes. the female will show swollen belly filled with eggs. and vertical stripes called breeding stripes. since you reside in high temprate area you dont need heaters i never used too. and seal completely your breeding tank so that this will help to sustain the bubble nest of your male. and place both the male and female in a single tank and use a cooldrink bottle both top and bottom extruded. and trap the female inside the bottle so that male can not harm the female. they start flaring at each other and the male starts building his nest dont let the female untill the female is not afraid of the male it might take two days and dont let the female when nest is less dense when not using styrofoam cup. important thing is th bottom of the tank should be clear and the water level should be maintained between 10 to 15 cm. and make sure your female is 10% smaller than male. when everything done properly and bubble nest set and female tubercles protrudes than normal release the female. you should always keep an eye while they were released and if female reaches the nest in submissive manner they are ready for breeding. in some bettas the first few spawns will not eject any egg dont worry it will not last long.after spawning remove the female and leave your male alone. dont place any fish near to his tank which deviates their concentration from placing the fallen eggs from the nest.always keep the breeding tank isolated with a dim light to locate the fallen eggs.within 24-48 hrs the eggs will be hatched. and within two to three days the fry will be free swimming and remove the male fish from th tank. and righ here starts your responsiblity as the care taker for the newly born fragile fries. you need to have availablity of food to sucessfully raise your fries. whish you the best of luck.
rakesh3250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #4 
razorfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh3250 View Post
dont be upset u learn from each failures the mistake you are making.
i advice you to use atleast a 5 gallon tank, and condition your male and female before breeing by feeding them with either live food such as brineshrimps, bloodworms, etc,. or freeze dried betta food or high quality pellet food or flakes. the female will show swollen belly filled with eggs. and vertical stripes called breeding stripes. since you reside in high temprate area you dont need heaters i never used too. and seal completely your breeding tank so that this will help to sustain the bubble nest of your male. and place both the male and female in a single tank and use a cooldrink bottle both top and bottom extruded. and trap the female inside the bottle so that male can not harm the female. they start flaring at each other and the male starts building his nest dont let the female untill the female is not afraid of the male it might take two days and dont let the female when nest is less dense when not using styrofoam cup. important thing is th bottom of the tank should be clear and the water level should be maintained between 10 to 15 cm. and make sure your female is 10% smaller than male. when everything done properly and bubble nest set and female tubercles protrudes than normal release the female. you should always keep an eye while they were released and if female reaches the nest in submissive manner they are ready for breeding. in some bettas the first few spawns will not eject any egg dont worry it will not last long.after spawning remove the female and leave your male alone. dont place any fish near to his tank which deviates their concentration from placing the fallen eggs from the nest.always keep the breeding tank isolated with a dim light to locate the fallen eggs.within 24-48 hrs the eggs will be hatched. and within two to three days the fry will be free swimming and remove the male fish from th tank. and righ here starts your responsiblity as the care taker for the newly born fragile fries. you need to have availablity of food to sucessfully raise your fries. whish you the best of luck.
Thanks you very much sir.
Is it OK not to use styrofoam cup or any cover?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #5 
rakesh3250

its not a problem you completely close the tank so that you see droplets of water on sides of the tank. I have sucessfull spawned 10 times without the help of styrofoam cup
Old 10-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #6 
GhostMen

Sound like since she wasnt intrested. They dont need to be showed each other for a week after 1 week of conditoning. I usally show them each other 2 times the first week and after that when ever female is big i release male first then after hour turn femeal lose in there then that when patiences come in
GhostMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 
rakesh3250

its a process just to make sure that yor female has less torn fins or without any physical damage to the fish before spawning
Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #8 
razorfish

All of your advice are a very big help to a newbie like me. I really love Betta Fish more than any other fish. But I cannot consider myself a good Betta handler if I cannot breed bettas. That's makes me sad. But your advice gave me encouragement to breed bettas again.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #9 
snowflake311

Where are you getting your fish from? I tried to breed 2 young males from the pets tore and both times the males failed at the job.

If your fish are not healthy or old enough you are going to have a hard time.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #10 
rakesh3250

most of the bettas i get is from trusted breeders i know so all bettas i buy are at the correct age of breeding. You should be selective and make sure the betta you buy is adult one pet stores might sell too young fries. In which either the male or female is not an adult its waste of time in breeding them.so be selective