Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 
lisajean

Feeding issues

I've had Mufasa for almost two weeks now, and earlier this week he got moved into a tank that makes him happy. Since he's been there, he's gotten his color back and has worked up a healthy appetite. Last night, I gave him a 100% water change (the tank he is currently in is rather small, a little under 1g), and he had a scare. He jumped out of the cup during the transfer back and was flopping in the sink for a second or two before I could get him back in the water. However, he did eat after that (a blooworm, not the pellet).

This morning I go to feed him, and he is not eating. I tried two pellets, and he'll catch them in his mouth, but then spit them up. Seeing this, I thought maybe the bloodworms would work better (he likes them more) but the same thing happened. He continued to spit them up over and over, and when it came to the pellets, he even had trouble catching them.

Will he be alright, or could something have happened when he jumped out of the water last night?
lisajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

First off, bettas need at least 2Gs of water. How often do you clean the tank? With something that small it should be cleaned every other day because ammonia builds up VERY fast. I would just keep an eye on him, he could still be in shock from falling. Blood worms should only be given as a treat, not a regular meal. In less than a 1G of water, you can't heat it. Bettas need to be in warm water, 76-80 degrees F. A lot of people on here have Critter Keepers that are reasonably priced. 2.5G is about $12.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 
lisajean

He was doing fine in the tank he was in, and the room is well heated (especially where he is at). I know the tank is small - I am looking to buy a larger one this weekend- but that is why I am regularly changing the water. He was eating prior to the jump-out, and now he can't seem to keep the food down.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

He may have had an injury that is keeping him from eating properly. Try soaking the pellets in some tank water to soften them up before feeding. Maybe that will help.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #5 
lisajean

Thanks dramaqueen. Should I soak them separately, and then put them in his tank when they're soft? I've been leaving them in there for awhile because he takes a few nips at them, but they sponge up and that seems to turn him off.

Just tried feeding him, he still can't keep them down. But I can tell he's hungry, poor guy. ):
Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I soak freeze dried fod in a little plastic cup. I use a little bit of dechlorinated water and I soak the food for a few minutes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote