Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #11 
Mo

That female from BB is nice, I do like your male a lot and I agree with Jayloo, I would wait on that female From Basement Bettas
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #12 
hollyk

And thanks for the encouragement with my boy! I just adore him. He has a fun personality, too. He just came in the mail yesterday, and he's very active, outgoing, and personable. He's following my finger, and I have pics of the front of his face because he's more interested in checking out the camera than in letting me get a good side pic! I hope his offspring will carry his personality genes, as well!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #13 
hollyk

Great, thanks Mo! Dang, I want that girl. I hope she's still around at the end of the month...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #14 
hollyk

In any case, she'll probably have more from the same spawn. I follow her on Facebook, and she's got some lovely fish. In any case, I'm sure I'll be able to find a good female from her.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #15 
bambijarvis

Basement betta almost always has something available. her girls are gorgeous. get one from her if you can(you can even try asking if she has one she'd suggest to compliment your boy).
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #16 
hollyk

Basement Bettas also has a cute little Cambodian available right now that's a bit young, but would be old enough by the time I started breeding. I don't know if a CT would work with my HM though? It would be fun to cross different colors to see what the offspring would look like, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Thoughts on this one?
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Jayloo. Basement Bettas has some fantastic stock.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #18 
hollyk

The green girl sold on a BIN.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #19 
Ilikebutterflies

Perhaps you can ask her if she has more? Maybe she has one without a bump on it's head that would be even better. I'm not real sure what's going on or how big of a deal it is but I'm seeing lots of US breeders showing breeding stock with that same bump above the eyes. It is a general fault and IME it does tend to pass on to the fry.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #20 
Jayloo

I vote NO on the CT x HM cross. It will take generations of work to get the tail wherever you want it. Also you would be mixing red in with that beautiful green and white marble which would most likely NEVER fully breed back out... Also when choosing stock to breed if you plan to show look over IBC standard. Yes the green girl has a small bump on her top line. Minor fault compared to the girl you originally posted. You will always get some fry in a spawn who grow up to have a poor top line. Best thing to do is breed a fish who has a fault with one who has excellent firm on whatever the fault is. For example the girl has a bump. Breed to a male he has a very smooth even nice top line. Then it will compete for good top lines in your offspring. That green girl would still wipe the floor compared to the girl originally posted in any show or breeding program. :D
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote