Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #1 
Brooke

Red face Tank help - new Betta

I recently bought (saved) a beautiful male betta from Wal Mart.. Currently he is in a 1.5 gallon tank with a gravel/air filter thing, a heater suitable for a small tank, gravel and a small plastic plant (that I snipped down so there are no sharp edges).

Anyhow, the water looked great the first couple days. I went to PetSmart and got the water treatment and the heater (since it is freezing here, I worried the heater wasn't keeping the room temp stable or warm enough for him). When I brought all of that home, I did a full water change, rinsed everything etc., and a couple days later the water was cloudy. I did a test and it said:
Ammonia was caution, Nitrates were good, water was hard, Ph was acceptable, and Alkalinity was low.
I am not quite sure what is going on now. I have been doing regular partial changes. LuBu seems very happy, active, and playful (even starting to rub up against my finger if I stick it in the top of the tank!), and he is eating very well.

I am used to dogs and cats, so fish are new for me :p. I am upset his water seems questionable, since he deserves to be in the best environment possible. I do plan to get him a larger tank soon, but until then, I want to make sure this one is in good condition.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #2 
Noko

How often are you cleaning his tank? A tank that size will need a few partial water changes, and a full water change a few times a week.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 
Brooke

I have only had him about two weeks now, I have now done two full water changes (to add the heater, and earlier today), and have done three or four partial changes.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

It sounds like you have the test strips?.. throw those out... they are very inaccurate. A liquid test kit is your best friend.. its a little costly ($30 for mine) but comes with 700 tests and is very accurate.

On a 1.5 gallon tank I would do a 100% water change, skip a day, 50% water change, skip a day, 100% water change.. so on and so forth. You need to be doing water changes at least every other day.

What type of conditioner are you using? I've found that some have begun to cloud water. To see if its the conditioner put some water in a clear bowl and condition it.. w/ no fish or anything just the water. If it clouds you know its your conditioner.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #5 
Brooke

Ahh testing random water is a good idea - I had not thought of that! The treatment I am using is called Betta Bowl Plus. I will work on doing more full water changes, I wasn't sure if it would shock him too much to do that or not.

I will also find some liquid testing supplies instead, being new with fish, I wasn't very sure what to get, so thank you!

I am looking at getting one of the 6 gallon Eclipse system tanks, or perhaps a 12 gallon with some other fish friends for him (obviously would research compatible types first).
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

A six gallon would be great!. If you want to get friends here is a great site that will let you know what you can add and make sure you don't overstock your tank...http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php Remember.. if you get a tall aquarium vs a long aquarium that you will have less room for tank mates.

I use the API Fresh Water Master kit.. its available at petsmart I know.. not sure about petco or other petstores.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #7 
Brooke

Great link! Thank you :).

Am debating on getting a much larger tank now, and adding in some friends for him. Boy do I wish I could house bettas together, because I LOVE their personality, just don't have a ton of room for multiple tanks at the moment.

I will run to PetSmart and get the liquid testing kit instead (will prolly take them a sample so they can test it while I am there as well).

Thanks a ton for the help! I suppose like most people here, I have quickly become addicted to what I had expected to be just a pretty fish, but turned out to have a personality I did not expect, hehe.

I think my fiance is a bit scared - we have 4 dogs and a cat now (all of which I rescued from the 'streets'). I wager he thinks I will be at pet stores rescuing all the poor Bettas now :p.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #8 
Jupiter

Your boy is so pretty! He'll love a 6 or even 12 gallon.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote