Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 
babystarz

Arrow 90 Gallon NPT - Work In Progress

Well, it's here! My custom-built, 90-gallon long tank from Glass Cages had to be shipped by truck, here it is being loaded into my Suburban by the nice people at the trucking center:

Yes, they had to use a forklift. With the box it topped out at 240 pounds. I had two strong friends come over to my house to get it out of the truck and into the storage room in my basement. It has to sit there for now because I also ordered a custom solid oak reinforced bookcase (the tank will weigh at least 900 pounds with water in it).

The bookcase is arrived sometime in November, and it has no finish. I need to stain and seal it before I can start setting up the tank. I am planning to go with a very dark stain to match the 1920's custom woodwork throughout my house.

Once that is done, I will finally be able to get the tank upstairs and in place (which will require another moving crew).

The fish for it are already here, the 6 betta pugnax juveniles have a 40 gallon breeder tank to live in temporarily.

I have started ordering some plants (just a few anubias, aponogeton and crypts so far, I tried to get some bolbitis but it was out of stock). I also have a plethora of pellia growing in one of my other tanks. I am also getting frogbit because I've had good experiences with it in the past

As far as other things in the tank, I bought a big fake rock at Petsmart with tons of little hiding spots for brooding males, plus some giant Cichlid stones. I want to go for a natural look so I may go with some driftwood as well, and more cavelike stone structures. The tank will have a sponge filter in the beginning but I plan to phase it out once the tank is well established, as there's really no need for a filter in a large heavily planted tank.

I am still deciding on what to cap the soil with, I usually go with fine grain sand but I am thinking I will try Fluorite with this tank; it's going to be such a beast that I want the nutrients to last as long as possible before I have to break it down. I'm hoping to get a good 7 years out of this soil setup.

As you can probably tell from the plant selection, this will be a low light tank. I do have T5HO lights but I really like most low light plants best.

I'm excited to show my progress with this tank as it develops, so please subscribe if you're interested in seeing a larger custom tank come together. Updates will probably happen sporadically, but I promise I'll check in with progress at least once a month :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #2 
Taboo

holy cow, this is amazing! Please do keep us updated, it's going to be an amazing journey. Photos all the way :D

Any idea what fauna you're planning on stocking it with?
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
babystarz

Besides the betta pugnax, all I'm definitely going to add right away are Malaysian trumpet snails to aerate the soil. Any other fish species would have to be able to defend itself without hurting pugnax fry, I'm open to suggestions.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #4 
Chachi

Wow....that's awesome!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #5 
dukduk

Is it glass or acrylic?
dukduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 
PeetaTheBetta

Wow that is so cool!