Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #11 
vaygirl

I've read tons of stuff about it due to my trouble with it. Usually it's a new tank thing. I imagine that because an uncycled tank is always 'new' that it's a persistant problem for them. Hate the stuff. Most of the advice I've read about it and other algae trouble is to starve, starve, starve them into oblivion. So I don't use fertilizer anymore either. Hate the stuff. Hate it! :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #12 
ScuitoAmi150

Maybe take out the gravel and scrub it
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #13 
TokyoBetta

I scrub the gravel a lot when I changed it.
I put it in a bucket with hot water and really grab it and try to crush it in my hands and swirl it around, then run it through a spaghetti colander and repeat 4-5 times till the water is as clear as possible. I suppose even if the water is hot, bacteria will remain and gradually proliferate.

This time I'll try boiling water, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #14 
TokyoBetta

UPDATE:

Well today we did his water change.
I boiled the heck out of everything in the tank... the gate, the bridge, the tera cota pot, the gravel, the whole works. I'll post pictures later.

I was gonna do it tomorrow but I came home after work and he just wasn't doing well. He woulda made it to tomorrow but I couldn't bear to see him like that. He'd gotten a little more lethargic and the algae problem I was experiencing was clearly affecting him.

I added special mineral salts and the usual water treatment, fresh water at temperature of course..
I just put him back in now..

Hopefully this sorts things out.

I had some kinda, rotting old grass in there... that stuff probably wasn't helping either.
It was originally doing well but the roots just didn't take and it slowly started dying.

Killed the light too, I think his tank was getting way too much UV, something I added to help the grass but probably contributed to my algae/bacteria/whatever it was, outbreak.

We'll see.
Fingers crossed for lil Sam.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #15 
vaygirl

The diatoms really shouldn't affect him adversely. I mean, they're a mess but none of my fish were ever made sick by it and I had it on EVERYTHING. What's he acting like?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #16 
TokyoBetta

He was looking a little 'itchy', some minor darting and bumping into things.
And some minor lethargy when he wasn't doing that.

But he was eating well the whole time though, and I noticed him looking a little 'dusty' but I really had trouble figuring out if that was the light playing tricks or what. Under intense light he looked slightly dusty but in normal light he looked fine.

To be safe I did the above, as I was worried about him getting 'velvet' or just generally getting covered in gunk/algae. I have another post in the disease forum.

He seems well today, no more erratic behaviour. But I will monitor him closely. And I found an anti-parasitic recipe that was created by a breeder with over 20years experience so I will implement that as well just to be safe, because its so easy to do and apparently quite effective.