Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 
eden000

Overstocked if I add Nerite?

I have a Aqueon Evolve 2 that's cycled and filtered, with a betta and fast growing plants. I wouldn't say it's densely planted, but I do have some fast-growing stem plants, a moss ball, some anubias nana, and I'm planning to add micro swords the next time I go to the store.

Is adding a nerite snail too much, with this setup? I'd like one, for the algae-cleaning abilities. Also, would I supplement the snail's diet with algae wafers?
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends on if this is a Natural Planted Tank (NPT) or just a planted tank. If you don't have soil in there or something like Eco-Complete then I would say no, definitely overstocked. But if it's a NPT, it should be able to handle the bio-load, you just have to be super diligent about monitoring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate weekly to make sure nothing goes above zero to keep it a healthy tank. You could get a small Nerite so that it can get around easier until it grows up
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #3 
eden000

Hmm. I only have white sand, no soil. The health of my betta is definitely my first priority, so I will be rethinking this. If you don't mind me asking, why is it that soil would be able to handle the bio-load? Just wondering from a scientific curiosity perspective :P

Regardless of the substrate, I would be testing bi-weekly to make sure of water parameters. I know that it is definitely pushing it for the size of the tank!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I wouldn't add the snail. With the soil you have a completely (theoretically) sustainable eco-system in your tank so the snail will add to the benefit because it will eat old plant matter and whatnot. It does the same with a regular planted tank but without the soil, your plants won't grow like the ones with soil will. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it scientifically. But without the soil you don't have a full eco-system, you have a sort of partial eco-system and your plant's don't grow as fast or get all the nutrients they need, even if you supplement with root tabs and ferts.

Does that make any sense at all? Sorry if it doesn't >.<
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 
eden000

Makes sense! Thanks ^^

How about shrimp? If i got an few amano, they'd do fine right? Shrimp, I've heard, have a minimal bioload. And they eat algae :)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good, lol and yes shrimp will be fine! Much less bio-load than any snail! You could do like 4-5 Amano's, they are bigger and they do have more of a bio-load than Ghost shrimp or any cherry will so you can't have as many in a smaller tank but you should be good if you've got lots of plants as well and some good algae/bio-film growth!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #7 
eden000

perfect! I'll try this :) I have a feeling that Romeo will make a snack of them, but we'll see.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Amano's should be okay, they generally stick up for themselves but yes, I had a half grown Betta kill one so....yeah a full grown one can still kill them lol. But if you've got some java moss and some area of dense plants, you should be totally fine to keep a few alive at least lol ^_^