Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Tera Cotta pots?

How do you make those safe to put in the tank?
Is it just like any other ornament?
I want to put it standing up. So I won't have to worry about the hole on the bottom.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #2 
Tinthalas Tigris

Just use a fresh one, not one that has held plants before. If you really have an urge to clean (this new terra cotta pot) a good rock/kosher/aquarium salt bath won't do it any harm, and might soften out some sharp edges.

Just don't add any soap!!

I still highly recommend covering the hole somehow, whether with substrate (gravel) or another safe, non sharp method. Those fish get curious, swimming back and forth all day and night. One of them will try to see what is behind/below/above that hole, and there is a very good chance they will get stuck. It is not a pleasant feeling trying to get a stuck fish out of jagged hole like that. It is actually a little bit heart wrenching.

Other than that, I have been extremely satisfied with my own terra cotta plants, and I think they are a wonderful addition to any aquarium.

I recommend having them on their side, however, as right side up might not allow the fish any enjoyment or benefit of it.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

They are awesome when you burry them half way into the gravel/sand. They're 40cents each and you can make tons of little caves. well worth it
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

Mine was $.75 here. I would love to bury it sideways, but I don't have any gravel so I would just roll around the bottom of the tank.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #5 
TokyoBetta

If you're worried about impurities I just boiled the heck outta mine and it didn't break or anything.
I had a small algae problem I'm hoping I got rid of.
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #6 
kuklachica

Today I knocked out the bottom of two terra cotta pots. I took a screw driver and hammer and placed the pot bottom down on a towel. I tapped softly, but hard enough to start chipping pieces off around the hole, and sure enough, the whole bottom cracked in half and came off (the rest of it stayed in tact). I sanded down the rough edges so they are very smooth and now I have a great cave and don't have to worry about the hole! You could do the same thing and lean it against the side so they can go in the top and out the bottom (and maybe wedge one of those plants under the edge to hold the pot up and keep the plant down?).
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

That is a cool idea!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #8 
Kitch3ntools

petco has aquarium glue and you can fill in the hole with the glue :) or u can get those glass gem/drops/squished marbles and aquarium glue that in the hole (youll use less glue and you can always use the rest of those gems for in the tank) i boiled mine before i added them to my tank
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #9 
ScuitoAmi150

Could I use a Hot Glue Gun with Clear Glue, someone said on the other post that i could use that