Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Should I say anything?

When I have gone to Petco, I have seen many halfmoons labeled incorrectly. More often than not, they label delta tails as HMs. Sometimes the difference is vvvvvery subtle (like my opaque white guy I found - at the time he was just a hair less than HM, but now definitely HM) so i can see where they'd make a mistake. But today, there was one that I really liked, but was DEFINITELY a DT (more like 150 degrees than 180 and not going to "grow into" a HM) however, he was labeled as a HM. Would it be worth saying something to a worker or manager since there is like a $5 difference between the two tails? Obviously, if it was a guy I just HAD to have, I would buy him anyway. But it just seems like the principle of the matter, you know?

What would you do? Say something or just buy the betta? It just seems like they are trying to gouge people.

P.S. The people at the store already know me as the crazy betta girl, and the manager greets me whenever she's there and asks if I'm getting another one. I wonder if they'd be really annoyed with me if I said something?

Last edited by kuklachica; 02-13-2010 at 07:13 PM.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #2 
cbirk

I would casualy mention it to the manager. most likely at a store like petco they will reduce the one(s) that are there, but next shipment they will do the same. most employees at those kinds of places order something, get it, and label it as what ever it came as. odds are THEY are getting ripped off too. corporate pet stores don't seem to have much more then very general knowledge on fish in my experience.
cbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #3 
vaygirl

It can go either way. If you're really nice about it they might be fine with it. Some of the stores literally don't care as long as they're getting sold.

At my petco they sell bronze cory cats as brochis splendens. I pointed it out to them and the fish guy got really irritated with me. I had to keep explaining to him that Brochis have 11 rays in their dorsal and theirs have 9. He was kinda insulted and he refused to relabel them. He said it's not his call, management tells him what to put there. They're still mislabeled 4 months later.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Obviously they can't tell the difference.
It can't hurt to mention it tho. since they already think you're "crazy" LOL.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #5 
kuklachica

Yeah.. they sure do think I'm crazy! I go in weekly just to see what "finds" there are (like my pure white opaque HM that I got a couple of months ago!!) I had one really bad experience with their betta care and wrote a rather scathing letter to HQ. I got a personal call from the manager of the store and explained to her my concerns and she explained about a shipment problem and an employee problem (haven't seen him there since I complained...) and everything has been GREAT since. MUCH better than a more local (state chain) pet store that treats their bettas HORRIBLY. Anyway, now the manager knows me and is really nice and I have talked with her at length. I don't think she'd be surprised if I said something! And I've spent so much money there that I doubt she'd have a problem giving me the correct price!

vaygirl - I would TOTALLY talk to the manager/write an email to HQ because that is ridiculous. The employee I had a problem with (told me not to clean out the dead bettas because he'd do it at the end of the day, and it was early afternoon right before christmas) was reprimanded and so should the employee you talked to!! Not to mention that they should be labeled correctly... grrrr
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I have to deal with the guy on a regular basis so I just smiled and said "Well, I know what they are at least". He's like the lifer there in the fish department. Other then that day he's been pretty nice, if a little condescending. I think he was insulted that I saw something he didn't notice. I'm too old to get all fired up. Lol!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #7 
doggyhog

I've been really tempted to just switch the lids on the cups...... but...
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #8 
cmc29

i picked up some good deals on rasbora espeis that were labeled as harlequin rasboras.. at the petco here, and i don't feel the least bit bad about it...lol.

I also had to explain that the white spots on the tank of clown loaches was ich...sigh..what's this world coming to?

I'd probably not say anything to them, if it were me, i'd just wait for that good deal to pop up
cmc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #9 
cbirk

I had that exact same prblem with the clown loaches as my petco as well.
cbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #10 
Jupiter

When i went to get Dahl, he was labeled as a 'Panda Halfmoon' though he was clearly a DT. They charged me a lot for him, but I didn't have much of a choice since that's the only place that occasionally gets different bettas.

I did tell the employee that he looked more like a DT casually, but he didn't say anything. I guess maybe he didn't know the difference?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote