Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #81 
InfiniteGlory

I assumed the strips were waterproof and only sealed the ends where I soldered the wires. But the water seeped in from the back of the strip and messed them up.

Next time I am going to seal all around the strips with sealant. I found a flowable silicone sealant for headlights that might work better. I just haven't had a chance to test it out

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #82 
jasonwuzthere

Ah, okay. You wouldn't think water could seep through silicone like that. I may order some in the coming month. I'm talking to the seller right now about power supplies and making sharp turns.
jasonwuzthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #83 
InfiniteGlory

you would think that if they advertise it as waterproof it should be and not just water resistant.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #84 
jasonwuzthere

Agreed. I may just try a smother the whole thing with aquarium sealant approach. I just picked up the Tetra 5 gallon kit from Walmart that looks to have the same lid yours does. If the lights end up as a go I'll post the results. Maybe it can help others to get this cheapo set a little more durable. :D
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #85 
InfiniteGlory

what LEDs do you plan on adding to the lid? are they on a strip or individual pods?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #86 
jasonwuzthere

The strips you originally posted. He said he had cables with clips for the tight turns, so I'll probably grab some in a few weeks and attach them to the lid with some epoxy or adhesive silicone, the slather aquarium sealant over every last inch of it and see how it goes.
Probably do the same for my 1.5 gallon, even though it has a splash guard and a raised lid. Like this but smaller and the older light bulb version. It will probably be a shrimp tank, though, so I may go with lower light to not kill the moss.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #87 
InfiniteGlory

sounds like you have it all covered. Let us know how everything goes. Hopefully I can get my testing done and see how it goes soon.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #88 
kyle89

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteGlory View Post
Thanks. Glad to see that it is helping people do more DIY projects than spending crazy $$$ on LED lighting.

I have some updates that I need to post but have not found the time. My original setup didn't last because it's not 100% waterproof, more like water resistant.

When my stock LED's went bad the manufacturer replaced my whole hood for free under warranty. So I have another strip of LED's waiting to go in but I need to find a way to make them waterproof.
I actually gave up on the led strips and couldn't find a lighted hood to fit my 5 gallon so I got a 10 gallon at petsmart. I still have the second set of LEDs that where sent to me as a replacement. I'm thinking of building a glass lid for the 5 gallon and make a from for the LEDs to go over the glass lid so the are not water exposed and see how that works.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #89 
InfiniteGlory

it would be cool to see that. are you going with a DIY vacuum forming?

My replacement strip is out in my garage too awaiting to go back in the new hood that was repalced under warranty. I want to test out the flowable silicone and see if that will help seal the strip better.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #90 
kyle89

I used silicone on my LEDs and it didn't help. I'm looking to make something like this
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote