Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #1 
KeshiaB

Would this be overstocked?

I currently have 1 male VT in an 8 gallon tank. The tank is still cycling but once this is complete I plan on getting 3-6 ghost or red cherry shrimp.

I've been having some algae blooms, mostly what I think is called hair algae on my plants (hygrophlia, 2 different crypts and some bacopa) and decor. Would it be possible to add 1 or 2 other algae eaters on top of the shrimp?

I'm not really sure what I could buy other than shrimp or snails that wouldn't overstock the tank... I don't like the idea of snails and I can't find ANY type of algae eating fish that are small enough, or that you don't need a whole school of.

How would you stock a tank this size?
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #2 
mybabyjets

the shrimp and snails and the betta in the 8gallon, depending on how many shrimp or snails you get you might be just fine. You can also add guppies if you want some more color in there.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #3 
mybabyjets

there arent much more besides shrimp and snails that are algae eaters that wouldnt get to big. (i know shrimp arent algae eaters)
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

For a better chance at success, wait until your tank has been cycled at least a couple of months before adding shrimp. They don't have much of a bioload so you could add 20 or so and be safe.

You do need lots of hiding places (caves and plants). Plus, the more you have the more secure they will feel and come out.

I left a small spot in the front my *very* heavily-planted tank to drop the inverts' food.

BTW, CPOs (Dwarf Orange Cajun Crayfish) are another option you might consider. They need the same cover but they are larger and more visible. I feed mine Crab Cuisine. You could have two in you tank.

Snails grow on you. And ones such as Nerites have a variety of interesting shells.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 
KeshiaB

Thanks everyone.

I know neither are algae eaters but what about Pygmy Cory or Dwarf Oto? I have a feeling my tank might be too small for any more than 3 of these and I know they prefer to be in groups of 8...

I'd love another type of fish in with my betta, something small (under 3cm) and peaceful, mostly to add visual interest to the tank, but I think my tank might be too small and I don't want to worry about excess ammonia.
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote