Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 
Gallifrey

Tail biting again...

My little Gally had a case of tail biting several weeks ago. He's been healing and being less neurotic for a while since then, but just today, out of nowhere, he's tail biting again, and this's significantly worse than how he was when he first bit his tail. At this point I don't know what to do. Do any of you have suggestions other than putting a background up (doesn't work) to help lessen his stress or whatever is causing him to bite his tail? He has two caves and several dark areas he can hide. The only change I made was baffling his outflow with a pre-filter sponge because he was having trouble swimming at a certain part of the tank. The tank is also heated. I'm just about to give up.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Welcome to my world. At least yours still has fins. It could be stress or boredom but whatever you do don't let it become habit or all fins will be lost. Mine has calmed since I removed his marimo and filter, he didn't like the filter at all. Now I water change 20% a day (excessive I know)

So take a guess, is it stress or boredom? For stress try to keep him on a schedule and if you have to upset his tank make it routine. Give him things to play with. Keep his water extra clean and add a little extra conditioner to make sure he doesn't get rot. Good luck. Also if you wanna see the results of some bad biting look at my album ryuuji
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #3 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
Welcome to my world. At least yours still has fins. It could be stress or boredom but whatever you do don't let it become habit or all fins will be lost. Mine has calmed since I removed his marimo and filter, he didn't like the filter at all. Now I water change 20% a day (excessive I know)

So take a guess, is it stress or boredom? For stress try to keep him on a schedule and if you have to upset his tank make it routine. Give him things to play with. Keep his water extra clean and add a little extra conditioner to make sure he doesn't get rot. Good luck. Also if you wanna see the results of some bad biting look at my album ryuuji
It's really hard for me to tell if it's stress or boredom. He's constantly staring at his reflection, and barely used any of his caves. He wasn't tail biting that time though. However, today he seems to be swimming through his caves a bit more compared to before, especially the "broken" vase I put in his tank, which he completely avoided before. It's so hard for me to tell. I think I'm going to try doing more water changes. Every other day at least. :\ He's used to me sticking my hand in the tank all the time to adjust something or remove debris, and he seems to enjoy following my finger and hand around too.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Maybe he felt that his tail was too big, I've heard of them taking off tail to swim better. They were bred to have the big tails which are not natural to the wild species. Maybe the caves were too small and he couldn't fit in so he made himself smaller?

To get rid of his reflection try to keep the background busy and LIGHT colored, as excess light inside the tank and a dark outside cause reflections.

You know those toys you get out if the quarter machines that come in a plastic bubble? I float that bubble in the tank as a toy and he blows bubbles around it.

For now keep things consistent and make sure he has stuff to do
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote