Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #11 
1fish2fish

Like any food you need to have a variety in your fish's diet. When I feed this I feed this 3-4 times a week and alternate with pellets. My guys had no problem switching back and forth between "Brenda's Own" as we call it and the regular pellets.

If you had any greens that a similar to spinach that could work. If not I would use maybe 1/2 a cup of the peas.. but make sure you take the shell off first.. just as you would if you were feeding the peas for constipation. Its really a sort of thing you have to "eyeball".. not an exact science :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #12 
TokyoBetta

I didn't know peas had skins.. lol. Hmm I guess humans don't notice these things but to a fish that may be hard on digestion. Peas here are frozen and getting all the shells/skins off would be a pain. I'd have to re-cook them then take them off, then re-freeze, I think I and the fish would probably prefer the fresh leafy greens.

I know of one leafy green that is about as close to spinach as it gets so I'll try that.
Thanks!
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

You would have to thaw the peas to make the food any way. De-shelling them isn't really hard. you just squeeze one end until the inside pops out (I used to play with my food as a kid LOL). But it might be a pain to do a bunch for a batch of food.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #14 
TokyoBetta

Just a word of advice to anyone trying this....

YOU NEED A FOOD PROCESSOR.. or a blender at least

I tried mashing it down for about 10 mins before it became clear I wouldn't get the necessary 'paste' effect without some kind of blender or something.

I will try again another day. Luckily I took the garlic and spinach and dumped it into a curry I had going so that worked out... but too bad I couldn't give it to Sam :(

He'll have to wait till I get a food processor!
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote