Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 
alyymarie

Need advice on betta community tank

I just introduced my female betta into my community tank, and I'm trying to decide if it's a good fit for her. The stocking consists of 4 sparkling gourami, 4 furcata rainbows, and a group of pygmy corydoras.
So far, the gourami are worrying me because they chase her when she's in their sight, and she gets scared. I'm wondering if this behavior will stop over time or not. She chased them back at first but seems to be scared of them now.
How long should I wait before I decide whether or not to keep her in there? Will she gain more confidence with time?
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #2 
Elvette Emmett

Gouramis and bettas are never suppose to be together. I've never had another other than bettas, but everywhere I've read about compatibility is never to pair them
Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #3 
Bettalover41

Gournami are semi aggressive when in schools of less then three and a minimum of a 30 gallon tank space. Even if they are in a group of 3 they are a schooling fish and will become semi aggressive and cannibalistic to the other fish. Keep in mind that they are cousin to piranha and will chase and cannibalize other fish if they are too cramped or not fed enough. Betta should never be in gournami. They had a feast on one of my betta long time ago and immediately made a hasty exit.
Bettalover41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyymarie View Post
So far, the gourami are worrying me because they chase her when she's in their sight, and she gets scared. I'm wondering if this behavior will stop over time or not. She chased them back at first but seems to be scared of them now.
How long should I wait before I decide whether or not to keep her in there? Will she gain more confidence with time?
Gouramis are definitely a no-no with bettas. I heard mixed things about it so I got a dwarf gourami and put it in my sorority. He started harassing one of my bettas really badly. He kept reaching out his feelers to touch her and he looked really creepy because he would follow her around slowly and then reach out his feelers toward her. At first I thought it was really funny and then I realized, wait. This might be aggressive behavior. Then she got really stressed out. He would sometimes do this to the other bettas in my sorority and everyone got stress stripes and started hiding. I brought him back to the store after a few days.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-23-2013 at 01:39 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #5 
alyymarie

These are sparkling gourami, my female betta is still very young but even she's bigger than them. They will back off from her if she flares at them. I see how bigger gourami could be a problem, but so far I haven't seen anything bad enough to take her out.
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote