Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #41 
DerangedUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I still like Raine though, Rain still fits though since it's gender neutral. If you were going to change it, I really like Checker's or Cinder/Cindy best
Yeah. I picked rain because it was gender neutral, but now that I know it's a girl, I like Rainie better. I don't think I'll change her name. Maybe she'll just have nicknames. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
What a cutie! And nice color change! Looks like she is growing well.
My baby boy went through a few dramatic changes. Hoping to see another one. It's such a fun surprise!
It is fun. That's my favorite part about owning bettas, to seem them color up or change colors. Also, watching their fins grow & change. Do you have pics somewhere on here of your boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph7244 View Post
Wow! that is really amazing how rainie has changed! shes growing into quite a pretty girl! Ill post some pics of Mars so be sure to check it out!
Thanks, Soph. I'm hoping she's not done changing yet. I would love to see more colors on her. But that's alright if she doesn't. I'll still love her. I like the blue sheen she has in the light. & I will be sure to check out any photos of Mars you post. It's so fun to watch them change, even other people's bettas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
Wow, she's really changed!
I know! I hope she's not done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
I also just realized my boy has the exact same half "lipstick" that your girl does, that crooked silly frown. For some reason always made me think of the Joker, and I even considered naming him that, but alas he is still nameless haha.
Well, if you do have pictures up, maybe people can help you with names. Though, I do like joker. It is quite a silly look when they have one side of lipstick. I think Rainie was a little girl who got into makeup & didn't know what to do! Lol. I think up too many stories for betta fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph7244 View Post
Hey! I just voted for your pic of rain for the photo contest! She looks really pretty in that pic!
Awww! Thank you! That's my favorite picture of her. I'm glad I got it when I did or I would never be able to remember what she looked like when I first got her. Comparing her now to that picture is unbelievable! I can't believe it's the same fish. & it happened over night!
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #42 
DerangedUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah....traditional PK's are 2 rayed and then goes up from there. You can even have an HMPK that only has two ray's because they have more membrane between their ray's than normal Betta's do which means they can stretch out more.

Here's a post about females and their tail types:
first post: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=0#post3061090
Second: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=2#post3094969

& thanks for the info, lilnaugrim! Now I think I can tell the two tail types apart. Wow, there was a lot of T's in that sentence. Anyways, you're very helpful when it comes to betta knowledge. I'm glad I've run into you on this forum.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #43 
Quinn

I know I'm always giving them thoughts and character in my head.
I have a journal too, here. And I posted a couple threads in the picture section. No name has stuck yet, not sure why he's so tricky!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Glad to help!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #45 
DerangedUnicorn

Some other fishies!

Hello everyone! I haven't updated in a while. School has been crazy & then I was in the hospital for two weeks! Well, one week, went back to my dorm, feed the fishies, then went home to recover for another week. I'm so happy my fish survived the whole ordeal. I think two of my fish have fin rot though. Actually, I'm gonna be posting pictures of all my fish on here today, because I have questions about each of them that I'm hoping some of you can answer. If not, I'll post in the disease forum. Ok, so here we go. (I will also update on Rainee (I've chosen the spelling finally) She's gotten so big!)

This first set of pictures are of Indigo. He's a VT. I've had him for a couple months now. I have 4 questions about him.

1) Does he have fin rot?
2) Is he overweight?
3) What is going on with the area where his his left (our right) pectoral fin comes out of? It's way bigger than the one on the other side.
4) What color/pattern would he be consider?

Name:  IMG_0235.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0244.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  IMG_02672.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  36.5 KB

Next up is Wisp. He is also a VT. I've had him a little long than I have had Indigo. He is my first serious betta. I've had bettas before, but I wasn't a very good owner. I know more now. ANYWAYS, I have 2 questions about him.

1) Does he have fin rot?
2) Do you think he looks too skinny?

Name:  IMG_0336.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0340.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0325.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0329.jpg
Size:  55.0 KB

He's always so grumpy!

Name:  IMG_0330.jpg
Size:  38.0 KB

Third is Queenie. She's a CT. I've had her less than Wisp, but more than Indigo. She's REALLY hard to take pictures of. Like seriously. So sorry about the picture quality. I have only 1 question about her.

1) Does she seem overweight?

Name:  IMG_0342.jpg
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0369.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0372.jpg
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0373.jpg
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0374.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB

Last for questions/concerns is my new PK boy! His name is Spyro. (After the video game character). He is the most beautiful fish I've ever seen in my entire life of living! lol. Seriously though, I can't believe I found him at Petsmart. I have 3 questions about him.

1) Is he a spade tail?
2) Is he considered to have a butterfly pattern?
3) Are the missing/discolored scales on his side something I need to worry about?

Name:  IMG_0222.jpg
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0230.jpg
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0221.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0388.jpg
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0392.jpg
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0407.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0422.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0445.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0509.jpg
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0533.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.8 KB

Ok. Now that I got all that out of the way, I will now work on uploading some pics of Rainee. This is a journal about her after all.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #46 
DerangedUnicorn

Day 51! (11/14)

Okay. Now, here's Rainee. She hasn't changed very much since the last update. Both of her eyes are dark now though. I did notice something weird. The day I came to my dorm after I got out of the hospital, she was very marbled, with black drizzled all over her. Then, when I got back from recovering at home for a week, she was back to the way she was before I went to the hospital, which is basically the way she looks in these pictures. Huh. I don't know what's up with that. Anyways! PICTURES!

Squee!
Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0285.jpg
Size:  40.0 KB

I think her spread is pretty awesome, even though she's not a delta or half moon. Not bad for a Petco baby.
Name:  IMG_0296.jpg
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0297.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0299.jpg
Size:  32.6 KB

Here she is being all big & bad in front of Spyro.
Name:  IMG_0303.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0304.jpg
Size:  34.4 KB

Size comparison!
Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0305.jpg
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0396.jpg
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0538.jpg
Size:  33.7 KB

It looks like someone tried to draw a mustache on her in this picture. Heehee.
Name:  IMG_0293.jpg
Size:  27.1 KB
Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Whew! Lots of things! I'm glad that you're out of the hospital and hopefully feeling better now!!

1) No, but he is tail biting and looks like there's a bit of irritation on his tail where he did. You can see a bit where it's reddish in color. Keep the water very clean with a few partial water changes during the week and he should be good unless he decides to bite more.
2) Nope, he looks pretty darn healthy to me! You might want to lay off a few pellets so he's not too bloated or anything but it's nothing to seriously worry about.
3) Looks like a bacterial infection or some sort of swelling. You can treat him with Epsom Salt, start at 1 tsp/gal and then over the next day bump up to 2 tsp/gal and see if that helps. Treat him in his own tank with every other day full water changes if it's smaller than 2 gallons.
4) I would call him Opaque, he's not cellophane like Rainee is although she's a Cellophane marble at the moment that could change though. He's not Pastel either, he would need much more iridescence on him. Because of his black splotches he's techncially just a Multi-Color since he doesn't fit into just one category though

5) This one also looks like biting but it's too smooth really to be biting. Again, just keep the water clean with water changes and he should be good to go.
6) Not at all! He looks very healthy! He should look like that when not being fed but just after fed his tummy should be more round.

7) Nope, she looks eggy which is normal for females in divided tanks with males. It won't hurt her, she'll most likely just reabsorb them anyway

I just have to say I freaked out when I saw you named him Spyro!!! One of my favorite games of all time! Literally!!!!!
8) No, spade tails are only a variation of VT. He's a PK that has a pointed caudal which is actually desirable in PK's, that's what they aim for but no it's not classed as Spade.
9) No because it's not as defined as a Butterfly would be. He's a blue PK with red wash in his fins, actually much like my boy Aero ^_^
10) Nope, they'll grow back. He most likely scraped against something before but they'll just grow back ^_^ he's also a Dragonscale if you were wondering.

Rainee is so cute!!! Omg, she's changed so much! And yes Marbles can change in a matter of just hours so I wouldn't be surprised to see her change colors frequently for a while. It's all very normal ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #48 
DerangedUnicorn

I knew I could count on you to answer ALL the questions, lilnaugrim! But if anyone else has advice, please share.

I'm glad that they don't have fin rot. I was already treating Indigo with ES cuz he seemed fat to me. The swelling near is pectoral fin seems to be smaller today. But I went to feed the. All this morning & wouldn't you know, Wisp's tail is split in half. Grr. I've never had problems with the decorations. But I've switched them around now, so maybe it won't happen to him again. He could have blown it out with all his grumpiness.

& yes, lilnaugrim, I knew he was a DS, why I named him after Spyro! He's a purple(ish) dragon! He was a total of 7 dollars. I'm so happy with him.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #49 
DerangedUnicorn

Day 65! (2 months & 4 days)

Hello everyone. I don't have any pictures today, but I thought I would update anyways. I decided that I'm turning thread into a journal about all my fish, not just Rainee. I will still update about her though. She's getting so big. She's almost as big as my adult female.

So, I got a blue mystery snail the other day because I am starting to have some trouble with algae, but I learned that they are just diatoms, so I shouldn't worry anyways. I got him & I put him into the side with Queenie, the adult female. She bit off his antenna. I left him in there a while though. But the next day he hadn't moved or came out of his shell, so I put him in the side with Rainee. (I have moved Rainee to one of the sections of the ten gallon & moved Wisp to the 2.5 gallon because he kept blowing out his fins from flaring at his neighbor, Queenie.) Well, Rainee started pecking at the snail, so I just put him in a cup floating in the ten gallon. I also got a free baby trumpet snail, but I haven't dared release him in the tanks. He's in a cup in the ten gallon as well.

Once Indigo is out of the one gallon hospital tank I have him in, I will probably moved both the snails into that tank & maybe switch between having the fish in the ten gallon sections or the snails, so they can still eat the algae, but not be in danger. So, a fish will stay in the one gallon for a couple of days until the snails finish. Does that sound like a bad idea? I don't know. If that won't work, guess I'll just have a snail tank.

So, I've been treating Indigo with epsom salt since my last post. I have only been feeding him daphina, hoping to making his stomach look less bloated. He's finally going potty. Not every day though. But it's better than the NEVER going like he was doing. His stomach still seems swollen & the bump on his side where his pectoral fin meets his body is still there. It's seems to be smaller, but I can't be sure. So, I'm worried he has some sort of parasites. So, I started treating him with general cure yesterday. I don't see a difference yet. He's always laying at the bottom of the tank on his side or on his betta hammock. He eats though & when I come over to his tank he swims around. But he just lays around any other time. He doesn't have problems breathing. He still uses his swollen fin, so it doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it's ugly. I hope the meds work, because they were $15! I have no money. That went on the already-can't-afford-the-payments-credit-card. So, even if the meds don't work, once I'm done treating him with them, I am going to move him back to the ten gallon because I don't know what else to do. Any advice?

I ordered some NLS the other day. It should be here at the latest on Saturday. Since everyone on here says it's a better food than Omega One, I figured I should just break down & get it even though I have way too much Omega One. Maybe I could mix the pellets, so they randomly get both everytime I feed them? Thoughts on that?

Also, yesterday, just for fun, I put Rainee on to Queenie's side of the tank to see how they would react to each other. Rainee was quite the aggressor. She flared & chased & slapped her tail against Queenie. Queenie fought back for a while, but then she just tried to hide from Rainee. I couldn't believe it. Even though Rainee is smaller & less bulky, so she bullying Queenie! Anyways, I watched the whole time & no one even nipped at the other's fins. It really makes me want to start a sorority in my ten gallon & just get a bigger, permanent tank for Indigo. I would love to do a NPT sorority. But I have no money right now & any Christmas or birthday money I get is going to pay off my credit card, so it's only a dream right now.

Wisp's tail is growing back nicely & Spyro's missing scales are growing in. He's making bubble nests now. My ADF is being..well a frog. Hiding a lot & being really fast when he goes up to get air. I have all my tanks home for the Thanksgiving break. That was an interesting two & a half hour drive. With 5 fish & a frog. (I got the snails while I was here at home, so I'll have more to take back.)

Well, that was a lot. I don't think anyone will read it, but it makes me feel better to have it all written down. Comments are welcome. Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Oh! & my birthday is Tuesday! I'm going to be 21! Whooooo! Too bad I'm not interested in alcohol. The most exciting part of turning 21 for me is getting my new license that won't say "Junior license" anymore. I'm such a loser. lol.

Tags
baby, baby betta, betta, journal