Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #1 
IanHulett

Should I release my assassin snails yet?

Progress
I'm trying to set up my 10 gallon Betta Fish tank where my snails (both pond snails and assassins) are self sufficient. My pond snails have just hatched babies and now I'm probably up to at least 25 from 6 about a month ago.

Objective
I want it to be set up so the assassins don't completely wipe out the pond snails but the pond snails don't invade completely. I need the pond snails to eat the algae and dead plant matter in the tank but I need the assassins to keep them under control.

Problem
Unfortunately, I may have to get a 20 gallon tank because I had two assassins in a tiny bin while I'm waiting for my pond snails to take over and they bred. At first I thought the bubble nest that was sticking to one was something else but now it's destroyed (not the snail) and there are a few new assassin snails around the bin. So, I probably now have 7 or 8 assassins.

Question
What should I do? Should I wait a little bit longer or should I release them? Thanks for the help.

Post Script
I like this format. It's professional and easy to read. I think I'm going to make all my forum posts set up like this.

Last edited by IanHulett; 10-25-2013 at 07:51 PM.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 
Laki

Hello :)

What I did when I had ponds and assassins was set them up in their own little breeding tank and let them go wild in there so I always had ponds. Assassins might only eat a pond per day. And they hunt and eat together so they wouldn't be eating a full pond each per day. They will hunt pretty regularly, and boy can they move! Baby assassins like to live below the sand/gravel so don't move them all yet. Only move the adults. This will probably mean you end up with the 20g including ponds and assassins then a tank for breeding ponds colony and maturing assassins. You can toss baby ponds or bloodworms in for the baby assassins to eat.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #3 
munakgirl

=o woah.... assassin snails named for a reason xD.

I just thought it was a cool name. =P Scary... (do they only eat pond snails?)
munakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #4 
IanHulett

Quote:
Originally Posted by munakgirl View Post
=o woah.... assassin snails named for a reason xD.

I just thought it was a cool name. =P Scary... (do they only eat pond snails?)
No. They keep them in check but they have also been known to gang up on mystery snails and occasionally Apple Snails(I think). They are famous for cleaning up ramshorns and various other snails. They will eat ANY type of marine snail if you give them the time and I heard they are flawless... accept they don't eat the eggs.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #5 
Laki

Assassins WILL eat other snails. Often the large ones like Apple/Mystery and even nerites are susceptible to the stinger but can get away if only one assassin is on them. Assassins kill much like spiders, they stab their stinger thing (they keep it under their adorable nose tubes) into the flesh of their prey. They have some sort of poison or something which liquifies the prey snail and turns their insides to a delicious liquid goop. It's fascinating to watch but I only watched it once and felt so bad for the poor pond snail.

Assassins will control pond snail, ramshorns and MTS. I lost a nerite to them as well.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #6 
munakgirl

Vicious Lil fellas. Well now I know what to do if I accidentally get unplanned snail boom from pplans or something. An the don't bother fish?
munakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #7 
Laki

They might get on a sick, dying fish but they really enjoy snails.