Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #1 
chrisandtif

Please help identify this illness!!

This is a king betta that we picked up almost two weeks ago. He is in a heated and filtered 5gal Fluval Edge tank. Yesterday we noticed that he was clamping his fins and hiding in his cave. I noticed a couple small spots on his side which first looked like ich. Today, the spots have become larger and more translucent and "mossy"? They are not clearly defined dots like they were yesterday.
He has also been trying to rub his sides against the plants in the aquarium. (natural plants)

I know that this does not look like ich, could it be fungal? Or maybe columnaris?

Please help!!
Attached Images

chrisandtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 
PetMania

IME (in my experience), I believe this is fungal infection.

RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS:

Do more frequent, bigger water changes. If you decide to do AQ. Salt as a treatment, I would do 1 tsp/gal and NEVER continue salt treatment(s) for more than 10 days as salt is not good for freshwater fish. If this treatment does not work, I would advise to use API Fungus Cure. Follow directions on container and use until fungus has cleared. Hope I hepled! Let me know if you need to know anything else :)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are the patches fluffy/fuzzy? Almost like bits of cotton?

To me, it looks like Columnaris. This is a bacterial infection. It's common in fish that have been recently subjected to stress.

What is the water temp? If possible, I would lower it to about 76F. Lower water temps slow down the bacterial growth rates.

Do more frequent water changes. This physically removes bacteria from the water.

You can try the salt treatment that PetMania recommended. Salt has mild antimicrobial properties. However, I personally don't like using salt, as it can stress the kidneys, and lead to other issues (such as bloating, or buoyancy problems). If you decide to use it, I suggest just a day or two, and while monitoring the situation.....

Columnaris can be aggressive. If water changes, lower temps, and salt aren't effective, I would:
a) Do a 100% water change to remove bacteria (as well as any salt that you've added).
b) Treat with an antibiotic that targets gram-negative bacteria. My preference for Columnaris is the furan class. Any one of these three will work: API Furan 2, Bifuran, Jungle Fungus Clear. (Fungus Clear is available at Walmart.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, columnaris, fungal, illness, king betta