Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #1 
Meg215

frozen brine shrimp

I bought the frozen brine shrimp that come in little cubes that you pop out and thaw and each one has a crazy amount of the little guys. I was told by the petstore girl, who actually seemed really knowledgeable about bettas, that I could out a cube in a bowl with a bit of water and keep it in the fridge for awhile. But when I thaw it, the shrimp are nice and pink for a 2-3 days then they turn a darker color. Does that mean it's bad and I shouldnt feed them to my fish? The girl said the package would last Walter his entire life and I can see why since there are SO many shrimp in one tiny cube. But if they go bad after 2 days it seems like a big waste....

Does anyone else have this problem? Or maybe you guys just do something different?
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't thaw out the entire cube. Just chip off a little chunk and put the rest back in thhe freezer.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #3 
PinkDiamond

I agree, I wouldn't thaw the whole thing. As soon as it's thawed, it'll be attracting bacteria and won't last long.

I either chip a bit off of the cube and leave the rest frozen, or I pop a cube out into a plastic bag, gently break the cube apart by tapping with the handle of a knife, then quickly seal the bag up with a bread tie and put it back in the freezer. Then you can just get a little bit out of the bag each time to thaw without having to thaw the whole cube and waste some.

My little boy LOVES frozen brine shrimp, I'm sure your fishy will too!
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is it really gross looking? lol I don't want to try frozen food if it looks gross.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #5 
FancyFins

It isn't so bad DQ just kinda makes your hands smell until you wash them lol
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I might try some.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #7 
Tinthalas Tigris

I use the Hikari frozen blood worms, much like the brine shrimp.

I add a table spoon of boiling water to a cup and drop my "cube" in. A couple swirls later, I pull out the semi-frozen cube, and place it back in the freezer in an arrowhead mountain spring water bottle cap.

I'm not sure how healthy this is, but I haven't had any ill effects from it, and the fish go after the cube after 2 or 3 times it has been defrosted in this way.

The chipping of the cube was always a little innefficient for me. I might try the brine shrimp next and perhaps it will yield different results.

My method is good for my community tank, and it yields roughly 20-30 blood worms at a time.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #8 
Meg215

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I went out of town. ;) I dont know why I never thought of just breaking a chip off the cube! Thanks for that helpful hint!
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote