Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #381 
LittleBettaFish

Well for now Sir-Cheeps-A-Lot is here until its future is decided.

I was going to get some pictures of it yesterday but I am trying not to get too attached in case it passes or goes to a wildlife carer.

It makes me want chickens again though! I miss my chickens and the silly things they used to do and get up to.

We reared several quite sick and weak baby chickens over the years and I still remember Brutus, who my mum would sleep with in her bed when we first brought him home because he used to miss his siblings and mother.

He grew up into the most aggressive rooster though. He would always attack your ankles and really hated my elderly neighbour because he knew she was scared of him. I even got cellulitis because of him once. He spurred my bare foot (I was wearing the bright thongs he hated) and within hours it was swollen and so painful I couldn't bear any weight on it.

He was also maybe 30cm high being a bantam, and so I would just catch him by his tail, tuck him under my arm and carry him around with me which drove him nuts.

I was never sadder than when I came down and found him and his whole group of hens (most of which I had bred myself), dead with broken necks after a fox had gotten into their pen overnight and killed them. If I'd had a gun and was in the country, I would have waited and blown that fox away the next time it attempted something like that.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #382 
LittleBettaFish

I haven't posted here for a couple days since I've been sick and busy with our old cat and Sir Cheeps-A-Lot.

Our old cat came home from the vet on Tuesday. They gave us this Royal Canin food for his pancreatitis and although I am not fond of Royal Canin and its ingredients list, we have to be mindful of what he eats now. So if it is helping prevent a massive crash like we saw the other week, I don't care what rendered animal parts or cereals are in it. Unfortunately, when my mum actually googled the food to see if there might be a better alternative it specifically said do not use on cats with pancreatitis! So we are going to ask the vet to clear that up for us.

Sir Cheeps-A-Lot is still here. He seems to be doing alright. Most of his feathers have started coming in now and he is starting to get opinionated about what he wants to do and when he wants to do it. Yesterday we had a disagreement about him going into his 'nest' and sleeping as opposed to trying to climb out and sit on my lap.

I still worry every single time he does something like fluff his feathers or yawn. I also have this fear about leaving the door to that room open. We have three cats that would like very much to get into that room.

On the fish side of things, not much has been happening. My hendra pair spawned again, my apiapi and hendra fry are growing well and I moved my coccina group onto my rack so I have my bedside table free now.

My burdigala tank is emptied out and their plants are all outside in a tub with some aqua soil in the bottom for nutrients. Of course my dog thinks it is more like a dog wading pool rather than a grow-out for plants I intend on selling.

Jodi-Lea does have a pair of rutilans available. I emailed about the cost of postage but haven't heard back so going to shoot another email off today so I can pay and have them sent out early next week. This will allow me to pick up some plants for their tank and my other tanks over the weekend.

My persephone group definitely need the 3ft footprint. I was watching them all today and with the amount of aggression the males show towards each other and the females I think a longer tank is much more suitable.

This poor male was being bullied by one of his brothers pictured above.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #383 
LittleBettaFish

Well my sp. apiapi fry had their first meal of BBS just now. I wasn't sure if they were big enough yet but the majority of them (including the female) were there eating it without any difficulty.

I put some in with my hendra fry as well as they are surprisingly large but it looks like the female is really the only one having a go at that.

My hendra male also was very fiercely defending his nest against the coccina male in the tank over. I generally have a piece of foam there to stop the hendra male stressing but I moved it when I was turning on the light and so this was his reaction.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #384 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love your Persephone. They seem to have the neatest interactions.

You need to post pics of Sir-Cheeps-A-Lot!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #385 
LittleBettaFish

Haha yeah I think it is because they are pretty territorial with each other so they are always putting on a show.

I don't want to take any photos of Cheeps in case he dies suddenly. I have this feeling I will take these photos of him and something bad will happen like it usually does whenever I get attached to anything.

He just had his 4pm feed and has been put back into his warm nest (it's really a cat bed with heat packs on top of a cat electric blanket inside of a soft dog crate). He has so many more feathers now than when we first found him. He also knows that as soon as the door handle to that room turns it is feed time. He was doing some preening today as I think his new feathers are making him itchy.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #386 
LittleBettaFish

Woke up to this...

So this is officially the second successful spawn from this pair. Male was not happy I pushed the camera in his face to get a photo.

Today I am going to purchase some cheap stockings from the supermarket and make some peat moss balls to go in each of my wild betta tanks. I keep forgetting to put them on the shopping list, and I want to write an article on my blog about how to make them and how they perform long-term, but I can't do that until I have the stockings.

I'm most likely going to be moving my group of B. persephone into the 3ft tank today. That's always fun as generally moving any tank of mine involves water going everywhere.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #387 
LittleBettaFish

*Hyperventilates into paper bag* I think my brownorum pair may be spawning. I so hope they are as that would be absolutely amazing. I just can't see into the film canister and don't want to disturb them but they are both in there and have been for the past couple of hours.

Even if I got one fertile egg that hatched I would be happy (well as long as the parents didn't eat it).
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #388 
LittleBettaFish

Well I finally have a brownorum spawn! A decent amount of eggs except they appear to be on the bottom of the film canister rather than in a nest. This species seems to make for either really good (my first pair) or really bad parents (my second pair).

I am hoping that these aren't eaten and hatch. I find with my wilds if I get a pair successfully spawning the first time, any subsequent spawns are a lot easier.

The female had a nice big meal once she was out of the canister so hopefully she is too full to bother the eggs.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #389 
LittleBettaFish

As an update, I think my brownorum male still has eggs in his nest. The day after they had spawned, there were no eggs on the bottom of the canister, and I thought maybe they had been eaten. However, the male is still in the canister and seems to be quite busy with his nest so I am wondering if he hasn't simply picked them up and put them where they are supposed to be.

My hendra male has so many fry. They seem to produce a lot of fry per spawn for a fish from this complex. Because their tank is quite bare and the male has been very aggressive towards the female lately, I am going to drop by my LFS today and see if I can't pick up some java fern. I use it in my brownorum and sp. apiapi tank and it works well at providing cover.

My group of coccina are doing well. Their tank is also rather bare, so I want to get some more plants in as they can be quite an aggressive species. The dominant male does have some suspicious looking marks on his pectoral fin that I noticed last night. However, they move their pectorals so quickly and they have so much natural iridescence that it can be difficult to tell whether that is the ich returning or just normal colouration.

Dominant male

Female
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #390 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How's the bird?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote