Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #1 
cindy1122

Question My betta gets excited seeing new toys? he spits out food?

I'm a new betta owner, and I have him for about one week so far. I recently received my orders of silk plants and cave from Amazon for him. I put them next to his bowl, so he can see them. I didn't place them in yet because I still need to get gravel. Ever since I put his new accessories near him, he has been very active and swimming around faster and more often. Sometimes he turns back and forth a few times before he swims to another place. Does that mean he is excited/happy? Is he just curious? Is that normal?

A problem recently happened is that he would eat his 3 small flakes (that's how much I feed him 2 times a day) but spit it out. The flakes are from BettaMin, mixed with dry tiny shrimps(?) He only ate the dry shrimp, but not the flakes. After a while when I come back to check on him, some small broken flakes that sunk to the bottom are gone. Did he eat them? Did they rot? He didn't have this problem before until today morning and night when I feed him. Is he overfed? picky? sick? (I'm pretty sure he is not sick because he swim around a lot)

Let me know what you think~~
cindy1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

He sounds like a normal healthy Betta. They sometimes get finicky about food. I think you should try to feed him a little more. I'd also like to suggest you upgrade his diet to pellets. Especially high-quality ones by Omega One (Betta Buffet) or New Life Spectrum (thera A).
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 
cindy1122

Thanks. I think I will try to get those and maybe other variety today when I go to a pet shop. I hope he is not too overwhelmed about the new items I'm about to add into his tank. I'm worried that maybe he is upset about, so he doesn't eat.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Betta really like frozen bloodworms as a treat.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 
cindy1122

I fed him Omega One Betta Buffet pallets for yesterday and today, and he eats them. I feed him 2 in the morning and 2 at night, is that enough? I'm glad that he likes the pallets, but does that mean he would never go back to eating flakes now?

I'm actually afraid of worms... so unfortunately my betta won't be eating worms. I'm scared to see any types of worms in any form, and I cry and break down when I see one on the street (it has happened a couple of times that I needed someone to carry me). I guess my betta is stuck with me, and I do feel bad. Maybe I'll have my boyfriend to keep the dry freeze worms, and he can feed my betta the treat whenever he visits me.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good choice. I'm glad he likes them. Forget flakes. You can try feeding him twice as many pellets.

Bloodworms are not really worms. They're actually the larvae of midges. But they still look wormy, so....

Maybe he'd like frozen brine shrimp as an occasional treat. It nice for them to get fresh-like food sometimes.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #7 
zackcrack00

I feed Frozen Brine Shrimp, Zoo-Med earthworm flakes, and frozen BloodWorms while conditioning. They get Aqueon betta pellets and a bit kf everything else when I don't condition them. Your betta just sounds healthy and picky to me! Keep up the good work!
zackcrack00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories, flakes, new owner, spitting out food, swimming fast