Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #1 
MsAqua

Sorority Questions

Alright so I have 5 crowntail females and one veiltail female that just finished up their 2 week quarantine yesterday. I placed them into a 10 gallon tank that has lots of silk plants and two decorations this morning. I have been watching them all closely. I've seen the flaring, the fighting, lots of chasing, and all the torn fins. The veiltail seems to be the top dog but she's constantly chasing any of the other bettas that she sees. Everyone else seems to be at peace with each other but once she comes in sight, they know to swim away.
So my question is, when does the chasing and fighting become too much? When do you know that a female is too aggressive to be in a sorority? Once everyone's fins become absolutely ragged and awful looking or?
I don't want to end up with any dead fish on my hands because I didn't know when it was too much.
I put them in at about noon so it's been about 4 hours since they were put in. I know they need to fight out and choose territory and who's top dog but I want to make sure that I know when it's too much and to pull the aggressive one(s).

There's the tank below. It's just a 10 gallon. I'm hoping to get a bigger tank for them once I've saved up some money.
Attached Images

Last edited by MsAqua; 10-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.
MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

Keep an eye on them. It will take a little for them to adjust. When I had an aggressive female I put her in a breeder float thing. After about a week she calmed down so I released her. She no longer picked on the other fish.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 
PetMania

It takes a bit for them to establish the pecking order, so give it time. Also, you can add more females to the tank. That way, there will be less agression. 1 female/per gal. Overstocking in a sorority is better than understocking.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote