Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #541 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hit my head on a car door last year and I saw stars. I hope you're feeling better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #542 
Elsewhere

Thanks DramaQueen. My head is much better, but my wrist is still torture. I've done all of my WC today except for the 30g- my wrist hurts so much I can't even get the hood off of it, and need to wait for my dad to get up to help me -_- I also have to work for nearly 6 hours today. As a cashier. Bagging. For six. Hours.

In other news, I've been on Aquadvisor, looking up bottomfeeders for the 30g I'll most likely be getting for Christmas (my mum is pretty terrible at keeping secrets) and this is what it said when I put a 30g with my girls and boys (I can't say divided on there) :

Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Note: Betta [Female] can still become aggressive even if she doesn't show aggression right away. Not recommended to be mixed with peaceful community species. Also, they may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Betta [Female] is not recommended to be with Betta [Male] due to high male aggression.
Note: Betta [Male] may jump - lids are recommended. They can become stressful under presence of too many shoaling species. Try to keep under 1 shoal if the tank is small. Individual bettas may exhibit varying degrees of aggression and care should be taken that exceptionally aggressive/territorial fish be separated from a community before any damage may occur.
Warning: Betta [Male] needs to be kept alone.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Bristlenose Pleco - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Betta [Female] - further research is highly recommended.

I was super impressed by this, that they had so many Betta suggestions. I'll probably put it with Soleil and them if I do end up getting a Bristlenose, and put the Otos in the new 30. But it's pretty far away.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #543 
dramaqueen
Banned

Are you wearing a brace on your wrist? I had to wear one when I had tendonitis (DeQuervains disease) in both my wrists.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #544 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Elsewhere, you can have the BN Pleco in with girls or boy's. They're pretty passive if you feed them veggies enough, like once or twice a week depending on the algae and stuff. I used cucumbers on mine since it was the easiest to slice up, she at the entire piece within two days, crazy!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #545 
Elsewhere

Yeah, I also have Tendonitis and a brace. It really kills. They made me leave work early because I was about to scream and cry. Some guy brought up a turkey and I was like "Why. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!"

Anyways, WE HAVE BABY SNAILS! EEK! My friend's mum will take the majority, she LOVES snails, and the rest will probably stay with me, since I've only seen around 15. Oh, and ONE shrimp is still alive! It's hiding out wherever it can. I need to go, but will take some pics when it's dark
Old 10-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #546 
Elsewhere

Well it's been a little while. Not much to update on, tanks need cleaning and I need to finish cleaning my room. Everyone is doing great, and the pond plants are growing like nuts. I need to clean out my filters, they're getting all clogged again. I'll update with more later!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #547 
Elsewhere

Guess who's sick AGAIN? I hate this grocery store job, keeps getting me sick. I feel like puking everywhere and I'm crazy dizzy.

Aside from that awfulness, my mum has given me my Christmas present early! Yaaaay! It's from my aunts ex-husband (awkward, but hey, still a tank!) and it's a 27g Otcagonal tank. He used it for saltwater, so extra cleaning is in order. I'll probably work on it bit by bit this week and do all of the fishy stuff in two or three weeks, when I get my next paycheck. My plan:

Divide the 30g by 5g, 20g, 5g.
Put Wilt and Atlas in 5g parts, girls in the 20.
Keep Colosseum decoration in the center on the 30g, move Swords over to the 27g.
Move driftwood to the 27g.
Put Soleil et les Nuages in the 27g, but keep the Otos in the 20g part of the 30. I might get a couple more Otos for their little group.
Get and QT a BN Pleco and put him in the 27g (which will be a fabulous NPT)
Have everyone be happy!

I saved six little snail midgets from the 30 today and put them in with grumpy ole Atlas, who loves his snails. They'll grow out there before going to new homes Pigg will just stay in his 5g during all of this, and I definitely won't be making the 30g a NPT. While I would LOVE to, it will just be so much work and I don't know if I can give myself the time to do it. But the 27g will be, and hopefully it'll be fabulous! I'll mostly have plants that are thriving without a NPT anyways in the 30g.

I do have some questions about NPTs, though- I want to use a substrate and a sand topping. Where can I get those really cheap? What kind should I get for both? Also, how do I siphon the sand?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #548 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you want to do something easier, use Eco-Complete or some substrate like that. It's still considered NPT just you don't have to worry about layer's and stuff. But I don't know what brands of stuff you've got up there but I believe you still have Miracle Gro. You should get Miracle Gro Orangics Pro Choice Mix, that one you barely have to sift or anything. Basically you take out some big chunks and it goes straight into the tank, I'd use just about 1.5 inches of that and with a 1 inch sand cap on top and that will be good, or you can use 2:1 and that should be okay as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #549 
Elsewhere

Thanks Lil! I'll let my mum know- she's the gardener around here! So I've been using Aqadvisor to try and decide what to use with the stocking options, and I think I'll put everyone in the 30g into the 28g (measured it, and it came out to 28 ) and then divide up the 30, and put a BN Pleco with the girls. Aqadvisor said I would be 80% stocked. I would need to get a new and better filter (There's an Aquaclear inside the tank we got, but it's pretty gross looking, so we'll see) and hopefully that would be all. With the 28g, I'll be using both the heaters from my 10g tanks and the filters from the 30g. I'll also be putting the Colosseum in there and a smaller piece of driftwood.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #550 
Elsewhere

So today I went out to a garden center with my grandma, and we got some organic potting mix made by the owner I brought it home and sifted it out, getting most of the big chunks of things in it. It's currently soaking in a bucket, because the guy said that would get rid of all of the salt he added in (Don't know if I believe him, but it was worth a shot). I found out today that I love mud >.> I was sitting in the bathroom playing with it for like 10 minutes. As soon as I get the 28g all ready, I'll be putt the dirt in and getting some sand to top it with!

Question- how do I get the sand ready for the tank? Like, to make sure that it doesn't go all spazzy and all over the place?