Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 
Cauliflower

Blue, the blue betta.

Blue is the coolest fish. Now that I've got him a larger tank and a heater for the tank it's like I have a completely different fish. I love that I can make his life a little happier.

When I first got Blue, he was of course in one of those little cups. I got him at the dollar store down the street. He was only $1. When I first got him, I got the smaller of the two tanks there at the store. That's when I started doing some reading. He's on his 3rd tank now. This will probably be his last because I think it's just right for him.

I've bought a quieter filter for his tank because he was afraid of the one that went with the tank (doesn't help that I think I broke the filter that goes with the tank). I also bought a heater for him. He is drawn to that heater often. I think he likes it. It took about 12 hours for it to heat the tank up too the right temperature. I think I'll buy one more thing for his tank. I had promised that I wouldn't buy anything else. But one of those thermometers that stick to the side of the tank seems like a worthy thing to buy. I think the heater is a good heater and won't mess up, but I'm sure it'll be good to have the thermometer just in case.

Now that Blue is warmed up, he's now a piggy. He seems to insist on more food after I drop in the usual 4 pellets. When I learned that their stomachs are about the size of their eyes, I have made sure not to feed him more than that twice a day.

I have several hidey holes for him to go to in the tank. One of them is the filter that he likes to hide behind sometimes. He's also got a Santa Claus hidey hole that he's finally gotten used to and uses. I do believe his favorite hiding places is this one specific shell that is leaned against the side of the tank. He is longer than the shell so sticks out very easily. But if I want to find him, that's where he's usually at.

So glad to have this forum to share about my fish. I can only add so much to Facebook before my friends start calling me the crazy fish lady. My boyfriend has already done that. :)
Attached Images

Cauliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
Aleah

Cute post! My husband and I are also over the moon with our betta! He has been upgraded three times and I am already looking into a bigger tank!
Aleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #3 
erinbirdsong

Welcome, I just wanted to give you a little advice, Those shells may tear his fins and tail. Anything rough enough to tear pantyhose is too rough to be in a betta's tank. Also I have heard that shells can raise the pH levels in tanks which is not good for tropical fish. Someone else may be able to confirm that.
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #4 
Cauliflower

I checked them before I put them in. They aren't rough around the edges.

Also did some reading about shells raising the Ph. I don't have a lot in the tank, so it shouldn't raise it very high. Maybe I'll take out a few that he doesn't interact with and that would make the ph rise even less.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #5 
Cauliflower

I think Blue is his most active in the morning. Towards evening he's more chill. Maybe he knows it's night time even though his tank light is still on.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #6 
Cauliflower

I posted a picture of Blue on Facebook and one of my friends says I need a hobby. Uh, dear, keeping fish is a hobby. sigh.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

You'll probably get the "oh, it's just a fish" comments. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #8 
Angelafish

Haha "It's just a fish"... :D People who say that just don't understand. A year ago I just wanted a simple, easy, low maintenance fish- betta. critter keeper, heater. Done. One year later... sheesh... My fish is so spoiled. :D
Angelafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

And the more you have the more you want. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #10 
Angelafish

:D I know, it's all I can do to avoid buying another heater for my now-empty critter keeper (Especially as the had this beautiful dragonscale plakat at the store today... :P)
Angelafish is offline   Reply With Quote