Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #91 
TiffanyP

Haha thanks :) It's more like Room de la Fish, but I like the sounds of Casa de la Fish better :)

Not a whole lot going on with the boys lately, except for Darryl, who I'll get to in a moment -_- Everyone is happy and healthy.

Stinson has put on some weight, which makes me extremely happy! He had his first blood worms tonight and at first he wasn't sure what to make of them. He swam around it in circles a few times and just gave it a good stare down before he decided it was worthy of eating haha then he ate 3 in rapid succession! I'm looking forward to this weekend so I can get a tank set up for him and Alaric :) I hope they'll be okay in a split tank. I'm going to use some black plastic canvas to try and mask the area between them as much as I can. I think it'll work out pretty well, though I'm still debating between a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon tank...

Gilligan is happy in his 2 gallon tank, so I think he'll stay in there for now.

Pascal's tail fin is healing up - again. He shredded it on something again *sigh* We're working on it. I think he may have been angry that I was giving him only 3 pellets/feeding instead of 4 because he hasn't been pooping regularly. I've upped it to 4 and there isn't any further damage, so lets hope that continues.

The babies are doing AWESOME. I am in LOVE with their split tank and I think they're pretty happy with it as well. They don't have stare downs at the divider so I think they'll grow up pretty indifferent with each other.

I think the API General Cure did wonders for Alaric. He's pooping more often now and doesn't look as puffy as he once did :) He's still got a tiny bit of fuzzies on his anal fin, but I think it might be leftovers from his slime coat shedding off. I'll keep an eye on it :)

Alistair is doing well too - nothing new or 'off' to report on him :) He's just my feisty dragon boy!

And now for Darryl. I swear this fish is going to give me heart palpitations! His entire tail fin is ENTIRELY shredded, and his caudal fin is starting to shred a little bit too. And I have NO idea what is causing it! I haven't changed a thing in his tank - it's the same exact plant, cave, filter, and rocks that have been in there since I got him. I am feeding him 3 pellets/feeding and feeding him twice a day, which is exactly how I've done it since I got him. I change his water regularly - two 50% changes a week, which again, is exactly how I've been doing it since I've had him. His water prams are perfect and the pH hasn't changed. I just have no idea. His fins just keep getting worse by the day and they're bloody in some places! :( I think I'm going to take his plant out tomorrow and see if that does anything to help. I hate to do it since he's always been a more reclusive fish and likes to hide - but his fins need to heal up, dang it! lol If any of you have any other ideas of how to treat this, please let me know. I'm upping his water changes to 3, maybe 4 a week with a double dose of stress coat to really try and heal his fins and to ward off any infection.

In case any of you were curious about my little buddy Konner, he was able to go home last Sunday, the 13th :) He was very happy to be able to go back home and go back to school to see his friends again. He's such a social kid! He did have one scare with his shunt again, and was in the ER for a few hours, but it was just a simple matter of reprogramming the shunt and he was on his way back home again :)

I'm going out of town for a few hours tomorrow so my babies are going to miss their afternoon feeding lol I hope they don't get angry with me :) But it's getting cold here in Iowa and I am in need of my winter jackets and sturdier shoes and a couple of my favorite comforters lol

Have a great and relaxing Sunday everyone!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #92 
TiffanyP

Hello on this absolutely FRIGID October day! I have a few pictures for y'all :) And I apologize for the water spots on the front of their tanks... I need to wash them before I take pictures again haha

I FINALLY got a good, clear picture of Alaric that shows off his BEAUTIFUL colors :D I'm so excited! His belly is big because he just ate - I'm working on getting a good diet in order for him because he always gets really big after he eats. I think he's maybe just prone to bloating... he never swims funny so it doesn't affect his swim bladder. Anyway, here's my pretty boy who holds my heart <3

Here's a new picture of Icarus. He's growing but still doesn't have any color to him except for a very very light red on his tail fin.

And here's my lil Yoshi :) He's lost most of his stripe, but I think he's going to end up with pineapple scales, which is fine by me :D You can also see that his anal fin is getting pretty dark, it looks black to me actually.

I tried to get a couple of shots of Darryl's poor tail :( He doesn't like not having his plant in there, but I don't see any further damage so I hope that the plant was what was causing it. I'll have to find something else to put in there for him to hide behind.

And now for a new picture of Stinson :D He's such a happy little fish - I'm so glad I went out and got him. And he's really living up to his name of "Stinson" as I'm sure if there were ladies around, they'd be all up on him haha Such a handsome fella.

And a couple of shots of my handsome Gilligan! I have fallen head over heels for this fish. I think because he reminds me of Gaston <3 Is he a mustard gas? Or a chocolate betta? Been wondering about that for a while :)

Alistair wasn't in the mood to take pictures, so no new ones of him, and Pascal also decided he wasn't feeling photogenic. Silly boys :) Hope you all are staying warm wherever you are!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #93 
TiffanyP

*sigh* and the struggle with Darryl continues. He's taken to biting his fins now, probably because he's stressed because there's no plant in there. I'll probably run to Petco tomorrow and grab him a feather plant as it's probably the softest plant they have, just so he can have something to hide behind. I hate seeing him like that - he's always been such a pretty fish and now his fins are just in bits :( Makes me sad!

The other boys are doing well though - Alaric has built his first bubble nest in months! I'm so happy :) Stinson had one built too, but I had to ruin it when I changed his water today. I've found out that Gilligan doesn't like my SpongeBob shirt haha he flares at me whenever I walk over to the tank, but if I cover my shirt with a towel he doesn't.

I think on Friday, payday, I'm going to take advantage of Petco's buy one get one free plant sale on their website. They have a new 'watercolors' line out that has some really pretty plants. They're plastic, or so they say, but they feel exactly like the silk plants. I think it'll be a nice addition to a few tanks :) I also want to get a couple of feather plants. There's a red and white silk plant that I want to get to put in the 10 gallon I'm going to split :) at least I think I'm going to split a 10 gallon haha I change my mind so many times before I decide on something.

Until next time!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #94 
TiffanyP

Well - Project FigureOutWhatTheHeckIsUpWithDarryl commenced today :) I went to Petco and bought a small silk plant, the softest one I could find, and a feather plant as well. I put them at the front of the tank so that there's a barrier between him and the room. I'm hoping that will reduce his anxiety and help things out in the long run :)

I was taking some pictures of my boys today, as per usual lol and snapped a couple of great shots that I want to share with you :)

Stinson! His fins are ALWAYS spread out like that except for when he's darting across the tank :) What a stud he is!

And Yoshi! I just love this little guy to pieces! He's so curious and what I would call 'friendly' :) I cannot WAIT til he fully colors up :D

I may not post again til next week, so have a wonderful weekend where ever you are!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #95 
TiffanyP

Yoshi colored up! Quite literally overnight! He's SO much darker now! If his colors stay true I think his main body color will be black, which would be ridiculously awesome! But here's the funny thing... it's not constant lol if I pay attention to him at his tank he goes lighter, but if he's just swimming around and no one's interacting with him, he's so dark! I can literally watch him change from dark to light! I'm so fascinated with it haha I tried to snap a few pictures today, maybe tomorrow he'll be even darker :D
Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #96 
Rosencrantz32

Wow! I'll bet he'll be a black dragon. I just got a black dragon female on Thursday and she seems to do that too. She looks really dark from far away but once I get close and look at her, the black gets much more pale. Maybe that's just what black dragons do? lol

I think it's been quite some time since I posted on your journal. I'm sorry you lost Fiyero :( the little double tail baby I got a few weeks back looks a lot like he did so I think of your little guy often. I'm glad the rest of your boys seem to be doing well though. I hope Darryl's fins will heal up well and that you can figure out what's going on with them.

Your new boys look great too! And I love the name Gilligan. It's brilliant!!! But I also really loved Gilligan's Island as a kid so... I'm a bit biased :P

Good luck with your two new babies! Their tanks looks great :D I'm really excited to watch them grow ^.^
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #97 
TiffanyP

Here's a progression of pictures of Yoshi :) I'm so fascinated with that fish!

The day I got him, Oct 14:

October 20:

October 24:

Yesterday:

Today:

He's so dark! I never expected, when I got him, that he'd ever be black! I was thinking maybe blue since his scales are a nice baby blue, but black never crossed my mind :D But I'm so thrilled! I've eyed many of the black orchid bettas on Aquabid, so if he turns out like one of them I would be in 7th heaven :)
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #98 
Elsfish

Talking Georgous fish:D

Yoshi is just adorbss
Elsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #99 
TiffanyP

Thank you :D
Old 10-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #100 
jayr232

Im really looking forward to what yoshi will be :))
jayr232 is offline   Reply With Quote