Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 
Angelafish

Cool Angelafish's Plantet Tank Journal

Hi all!
Well, I've recently jumped into the world of running a planted tank... and it hasn't been too easy so far! I'm a self-named "Plant Noob" and am doing my best to figure out how this all works. Seeing as I keep starting threads about plants in the Planted Tank part of the forum, I thought I might as well start a journal thread, since the threads I've started already definitely won't be the end of my "plant worries"!

Here are my other threads:

Just got my plants, wondering what they are, and what kind of algae they have all over them... (looks like blue-green algae! :P)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=280922

And here's wondering what I can do to help them grow better... due to the advice here I started adding fertilizer and changed my lighting to 6500K...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=285514

Things are better, but still not happy with how my plants are looking, that is, some are not a nice color, and others have unexplained spots. Debating whether or not to go full-out NPT? Also, blue-green algae has traded places with hair algae... ugh.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=288785

I've decided that the best way to go is with some eco complete, as I've read a lot about (and seen pictures of) the really nice effect it has on plant health. It's in the mail right now, and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... I can't wait! Really excited to put it in, and see how the plants like it. :)

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with blobs of hair algae all over everything! Looks like I'll be spending some time cleaning it out tomorrow... honestly, it looks like everything is coated in green steel wool...! Yuck.

I've put my latest pictures... but between then and now there's a LOT more algae in there :P. I've read (a page called 'James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide) that this stuff is caused by not enough CO2 and nutrients. Now... my plants have been pearling a bit over the last few days - perhaps this all means that there are too many plants in relation to fauna (1 betta, 1 mystery snail)?
In any case, perhaps I should look into adding some CO2 and more nutrients... I already dose some Seachem Flourish, .5 mL for 5.5 gal.
Attached Images

Angelafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your plants look nice. I hope you're able to get rid of the hair algae.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #3 
Angelafish

Thanks! :) Me too... Algae is such a pain in the neck, but the plants are definitely pretty enough to make it worth the trouble to keep them!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 
Angelafish

Well, just finished a water change... but before doing that I spent a while picking out as much of the algae I could, and trying to brush it off the plants. It made such a mess that I had to first do a 50% change, directly followed by a 25% change. But, now the tank looks nice again, at least for now! I doubt it will take very long for all that algae to grow back lol...

Same as last time I did a water change, there are some tiny little 'critters' swimming around... whatever they are, Theo loves chasing them around, and they generally wind up as betta snacks.

We'll see how things go from here! May consider doing a blackout to take care of the hair algae, if (or when, haha) it comes back.

Still waiting for my substrate to come in the mail! (Never thought I'd be so excited about a bag of rocks, haha) :)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's why I don't want real plants. I don't like little creepy crawlies. Eeeuuwww.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #6 
Angelafish

Hahaha I know, right? Gross! :) I was pretty freaked out when I first saw them, too... but I guess if they're harmless, I like my plants enough to put up with them!
I just hope Theo doesn't get jealous, now that he's not the only fantastic thing about my tank anymore haha. :D
Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #7 
Angelafish

All right!!! So I put my eco-complete in yesterday, and I have to say, it's really cool! It looks very nice- I thought it was going to be just black, but there's a subtle mix of colors in there, and everyone's right: it makes all the other colors in the tank glow.

I thought that castle in there was taking up too much space as well as blocking light, so I got a smaller hidey-hole thing to put in (sorry, Theo, I know that was your favorite :P). AND I saw in one of the tanks at the store a whole bunch of nice looking plants so I got one. It was labeled as water wisteria, and I suppose that's what it is (although I don't always trust their labels haha). Anyway, it looks pretty and adds another shade of green to my tank.

Oh my goodness, though! I can't believe how much my rotala have grown OVERNIGHT since I put in the new substrate! :D They're growing bright green leaves (not red... :( ) which are noticeably bigger than the leaves which grew when the gravel was in there (yay!). Thank goodness, the crypts and the dwarf sag have not melted, which I thought they would. And, so far, no noticeable algae growth (although I will expect some sooner rather than later).

In short- I'm soooo excited about how my tank looks now! I've practically been staring at it all day. :) This isn't too good of a picture, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #8 
twolovers101

Oh it looks really nice now :) good job
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice job on the tank!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #10 
Angelafish

:D Thanks! I really hope it stays that way! :D Thank goodness, the crypts still haven't melted, and the rotala is growing like CRAZY. :D I'm going to have that rotala jungle pretty soon, I think...

The wisteria, I'm not really sure what to do with it, or what it is supposed to do/look like, so for now, I'm just gonna wait and see what happens! I really like the different shade of green next to the other plants.

One of the sags was pearling yesterday evening too, hope that's a good sign!
And so far, no algae... *fingers crossed*

Maybe later I'll put in a photo 'timeline' to track my tank's progress over the last year... it really has changed a lot since I first got it! Hee hee to think I started out just wanting a fish and a really simple, low-maintenance tank... :D

PS only just noticed my thread is called a "planteT tank journal" hahaha darn typos!

Last edited by Angelafish; 10-27-2013 at 09:33 AM.