Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 
CraneHaven

Post Can I burn a plastic ornament and put it back in my bettas tank?

My betta fish REALLY loves his plastic grass... but his fins gets snagged. I tried taking it out but he just mopes now. I guess he really liked hiding inbetween the glass and the grass? hahha

So I was wondering, if I could take a lighter and melt the tips of the grass together so that there isnt pokey things everywhere and put it back in the tank. That way he can just snug his way back between the grass and glass like he used to, without getting his fins caught?

i considered tying a rubber band around the top of them too but burning it would take away all the point ends.

would the burned chemicals be unsafe?
CraneHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Whether or not the chemicals would be bad depends on the type of plastic. I'd just go but new grass, but if your grass was made for an aquarium it may work. Also would it be possible to shave the grass smooth? Like take a blade and smooth it that way? If so there's a good option.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 
Gallifrey

Take out the grass, wait for it to dry, and take a nail file to the tips.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #4 
cowboy

What type of grass did you buy? I have had the fluval brand of grass in my tank for aprox 5 months and my guy is in and out of it all the time. Its quite soft for a plastic. The top fin kind is a lot more rough. If you don't have the fluval you might want to have a look at it to see what you think. I may have a picture of it under my albums under sushi if you want to see it. If it's not there let me know and I will post one next time I hook up my laptop

Last edited by cowboy; 10-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.
cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

You might try keeping a low light live plant in a pot in your tank he might light that even better and it won't rip his fins. Otherwise many people use a nail file.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #6 
CraneHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
Take out the grass, wait for it to dry, and take a nail file to the tips.
Do the fins only snag of the tip is pointy? it doesnt matter if the grass sstrands are like... stiff in general? stiff even if the ends are smooth from the filing?

these are grass made for aquarium also
CraneHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #7 
caphyae

Try clipping them or filing them down, I really wouldn't recommend you melt the tips...
caphyae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, chemical, decorations, plastic