bettacrazygirl86

Not eating? Kinda concerned.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One other betta, three guppies, several small MTS, and lots of live plants.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Usually eats Petco brand betta pellets, but we've tried Omega One pellets, flakes, and even Freeze dried bloodworms just to get him to eat something, but he won't.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, however much he's willing to eat since he doesn't eat much :(

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's always been really tiny. He's skinny, but nothing has changed.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He hasn't been eating for the last couple days.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's really tiny, but he seems to be a bit older. He isn't a baby.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #2 
jayr232

Have you tested to fast him for at least a day?
jayr232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

You said that he's in the 10 gal tank with another betta and several guppies....

Is this a *divided* tank, so that he's kept completely separate from the other male?

If it's *not* divided, then I would remove him ASAP and put him into his own tank. Bettas are territorial, so the 'not eating' may be because of the other male in the tank.

If it *is* divided, then read on: Frozen food is messy, but it might be worth a try. You can pick this up in the refrigerated section of petstores. It comes in cubes. I'd recommend chipping off a bit of a cube, then putting the larger portion back in the freezer. (Don't let it defrost. Just chip off a bit while it's still frozen.)... Then, I would put him into a small tank/container, using his current tank water. (This way, no acclimation is needed.).... Feed him the bit of food. Hopefully, he'll eat it. Then, put him back into the larger tank, and throw out the food-laden water. (This way, you won't pollute the large tank.)

Also, you said that you have lots of live plants. This is good. However, are you sure the water quality is OK? IMO, it's a good idea to either do occasional water testing, or else change a percentage of the water weekly. I know that some people, like OFL, don't do frequent water changes with planted tanks, but given that you have several fish in there, it may be worth testing the water, if you don't wish to do weekly water changes.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 10-26-2013 at 09:40 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr232 View Post
Have you tested to fast him for at least a day?
He hasn't been eating at all, so I don't think fasting him would be very effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
You said that he's in the 10 gal tank with another betta and several guppies....

Is this a *divided* tank, so that he's kept completely separate from the other male?

If it's *not* divided, then I would remove him ASAP and put him into his own tank. Bettas are territorial, so the 'not eating' may be because of the other male in the tank.

If it *is* divided, then read on: Frozen food is messy, but it might be worth a try. You can pick this up in the refrigerated section of petstores. It comes in cubes. I'd recommend chipping off a bit of a cube, then putting the larger portion back in the freezer. (Don't let it defrost. Just chip off a bit while it's still frozen.)... Then, I would put him into a small tank/container, using his current tank water. (This way, no acclimation is needed.).... Feed him the bit of food. Hopefully, he'll eat it. Then, put him back into the larger tank, and throw out the food-laden water. (This way, you won't pollute the large tank.)

Also, you said that you have lots of live plants. This is good. However, are you sure the water quality is OK? IMO, it's a good idea to either do occasional water testing, or else change a percentage of the water weekly. I know that some people, like OFL, don't do frequent water changes with planted tanks, but given that you have several fish in there, it may be worth testing the water, if you don't wish to do weekly water changes.
It is a divided tank. I've kept bettas before, so I know what I'm doing, for the most part. :) Sadly, we can't have frozen foods. Our freezer in our mini fridge doesn't freeze anything. We're in a dorm and we don't have a proper freezer, so keeping frozen food would be impossible. I would have tried that by now, if it was an option. :(

I do biweekly changes, since lugging a bucket of water down the hall and to the bathroom is a pain and I rarely have time to do so anyway. I know all of my plants are healthy. None of them are dying, and all of the other fish are fine and eat like little pigs. My roommate's betta just isn't eating. :(

I'm currently babysitting my friend's betta for the weekend, and I tried feeding my roommate's betta some of that betta's food, and he didn't eat it either. He watches it fall and just swims away. He's completely uninterested.

But I have noticed that he swims down to the bottom later and picks up fallen food, but he spits it back out right away. I was trying to think of something that he would be able to eat that would just sit at the bottom, but I couldn't think of anything other than algae wafers. :(
Old 10-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #5 
jayr232

Have you tried feeding him bloodworms? As far as i remember hikari and tetra offers dried bloodworms. Bettas are picky eaters, my betta got tired of his flake food so i fed him some dried daphnia and then he starts to eat his flakes again
Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #6 
jayr232

Ow yea try daphnia
Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #7 
jayr232

Or just fast him for 3 days . That ought to do it
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

I have tried feeding him frozen bloodworms, but he just doesn't seem interested in any of the food I try giving him.

Instead, he tries to eat whatever has fallen to the tank bottom. I don't know what his problem is.