Hi, does this look like fin rot? I'm a first time betta owner and my eye sight isn't the greatest. What do you think? If it is, how should I treat it?
What size is your tank? 30 litres
What temperature is your tank? 26-30 degrees celsius
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega Floating Betta Pellets, Nutrafin Flakes and once a week frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day, two pellets each time, or a small pinch of flakes
How often do you perform a water change? Currently every second day as I'm still cycling the tank
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes, using API Master Test Kit
Ammonia: 0.25-0.50 ppm, it's been like this ever since the spike and won't go down!
Hardness: Not sure
Alkalinity: Not sure
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hole in fin, also torn looking at ends
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, he's still making small bubble nests and as active as ever
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since the ammonia spike on 22 October
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Regular water changes using Prime, cut down feeding
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, how do you tell?
I had a huge ammonia spike recently which resulted in me having to do a 100% water change, further details can be found here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=289906 and here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=290785
There is also a sort of white film on top of the water and on the sides of the tank. I'm not sure if this a protein, bacteria, something from over feeding (I don't think I over feed?), or some kind of algae?
Any help would be much appreciated!