Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #1 
KeshiaB

Question Does this look like fin rot? I can't tell... also other questions. Please help noob!

Hi, does this look like fin rot? I'm a first time betta owner and my eye sight isn't the greatest. What do you think? If it is, how should I treat it?

Name:  IMG_20131028_164126.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20131028_164131.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  43.9 KB

Housing
What size is your tank? 30 litres
What temperature is your tank? 26-30 degrees celsius
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega Floating Betta Pellets, Nutrafin Flakes and once a week frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day, two pellets each time, or a small pinch of flakes

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Currently every second day as I'm still cycling the tank
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes, using API Master Test Kit

Ammonia: 0.25-0.50 ppm, it's been like this ever since the spike and won't go down!
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness: Not sure
Alkalinity: Not sure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hole in fin, also torn looking at ends
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, he's still making small bubble nests and as active as ever
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since the ammonia spike on 22 October
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Regular water changes using Prime, cut down feeding
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, how do you tell?

I had a huge ammonia spike recently which resulted in me having to do a 100% water change, further details can be found here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=289906 and here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=290785

There is also a sort of white film on top of the water and on the sides of the tank. I'm not sure if this a protein, bacteria, something from over feeding (I don't think I over feed?), or some kind of algae?

Any help would be much appreciated!
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #2 
ilykadothechacha

It doesn't look like fin rot. Fin rot usually makes the ends of the fins look black. It could be because of the ammonia spike.
Do you have any plastic plants in his tank? Sometimes they can tear their fins and that can turn into fin rot if its not treated properly.

And the film on the water could be biofilm. Here's some info on it.
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bio-film

I had it in my tanks too. It ended up going away on once the tank go more established.
ilykadothechacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #3 
KeshiaB

No plastic plants in his tank, all real.

I also recently trialled a bottle filter baffle but it didn't work that well, he seemed to be struggling to swim in the current so perhaps the tear is from wearing him out? I'm back using pieces of filter media in the outflow now, works a treat.

Thanks for the info on the biofilm!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #4 
ilykadothechacha

Yeah it could be from the current. It was probably too strong. Just keep an eye on it since it can turn to fin rot.

And you're welcome! It freaked me out the first time I saw it too!
ilykadothechacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #5 
KeshiaB

I've also just remembered that yesterday when I got home after a weekend away he went absolutely crazy when he saw me. Could be fin blowout...