Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #1 
Jessafall

What kind of lighting for a 10gallon tank??

I have a 10 gallon that I used to use for hermit crabs. i'm going to see if I can hold water. if it does. i'm going to make it into a sorority I have a clamp lamp that i used for hermies. just need to know what kind of wattage the light should be. also what kind of pump should I get?

Also If i decide to divide the 10gallon into a tank for 2 males and use a divider that lets water through. would I need 2 heaters. one for each side?

I have never owned fish so i'm researching everything before i get some betta's

Last edited by Jessafall; 02-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Jessafall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #2 
Eolith

I would highly recommend getting a hood with a light for your 10 gallon. Bettas are known for jumping, and you wouldn't want them to jump out of your tank. A hood would also prevent your water from gradually evaporating out, which can get super annoying. The light wattage doesn't really matter unless you're going to be putting any plants in there.

In reference to a pump, do you mean an air pump or a filter?

You don't need more than one heater in the tank.

Last edited by Eolith; 02-11-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

The standard lighted hood for a 10 gallon comes with a 15w fluorescent bulb. You can actually just get a hood at walmart if your tank is a standard 10 gallon tank. You don't need two heaters just make sure you get a 50watt and a thermometer.. put the thermometer on the side opposite the heater for a better general reading of the temp.

If you don't want a 10 gallon hood you can get a piece of plexi glass and make a clear top and put any light you choose on top. You can also make a top out of plastic craftstore mesh to let a lot of air through but keep the fishies from jumping out.

I also suggest you research cycling. For a 10 gallon tank it is very beneficial to cycle your tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #4 
Jessafall

I forgot to mention, i built a mesh hood for my hermies and put plexi glass on top so i'm all set for the hood part. I have already read up on cycling and what you have to do. I saw a submersible heater at walmart for the 2-15 gallons. will that work as a good heater?

Last edited by Jessafall; 02-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Depends on your preference. I use a tetra 10i In tank whisper and that works great for me.. very easy to buffer the flow.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #6 
banisher

One word of caution. If the hermit crab tank was a terrarium they use thinner glass then the aquariums since they don't have to hold water. If you notice the sides flexing when you are adding the water you might want to consider getting a different tank.
banisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #7 
Jessafall

the tank is made for fishies so it would hold water. but would be a pain to seal. so i decided i'm going to get one of those 5 gallon kit for now to start out with.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

If you get a 5 gallon I wouldn't advise dividing it. With any tank you want to stay away from being 100% stocked and with two males you could very well be overstocked depending on your filtration.

If you get the 5 gal I would just get one male and perhaps a snail or ADF (but if you get the ADF make sure you have alternate housing in case the betta decides to bite him).
Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #9 
Jessafall

i've decided i'm going to get a 10 gallon and divide it. knowing myself after i get the 5 gallon i would want a 10 gallon so i'm just going to get the 10 gallon instead. i can't wait. maybe a few more weeks then i'll be getting everything. set it up, wait a week then get the bettas!