Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #1 
Aqua Aurora

No tech tank care questions

I'm not sure if this should be in the habitat forum but ill post here since its about care and maintenance.
First off, I am not running a no teck tank, mine has heater, filter, and light.. BUT many people run betta tanks/bowls/cubes without filers or heaters and I had a few questions about this style of housing and caring for a betta in these no teck tanks.
Spicigically I wanted to ask about water changes/bowl cleaning frequency for tiny (under 2 gallons) no tech tanks. I've heard people say to clean off decor, tank walls, and gravel when doing a wc, but won't that remove all benficaial bacteria? How often do no tech tiny tanks need wc and how much(half?whole?). How do such tanks keep ammonia and nitrite in check? I am also curious what people do to keep their battas warm in winter (that live in cold regions) if they never use a heater in the tank?

I'd love to hear members personal experiences/routines with small no tech tanks ^^
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
KeshiaB

When I had this type of tank I would do 1x 50% and 1x 100% water change per week, cleaning decor, gravel and walls when necessary. I'd also check water parameters every couple of days and do 25% water changes as needed. Really without a filter you are not going to cycle a tank so you don't need to worry about beneficial bacteria. Water changes are used to keep ammonia and nitrite in check, personally I would add a live plant/s to the tank to help absorb some ammonia too. Also use a good water conditioner like Prime!

As for heating in cold areas, I've heard some people have great results using a lamp with a black or blue bulb over top of the tank. I'd be inclined to use a small heater though, betta have similar sleep patterns to humans and I can't help but think any kind of light would be irritating! That's just my opinion though, I'm not sure of the science behind it.

My boy was happy in his 1.5 gallon. As long as you keep the water clean and warm, perform regular water parameter tests, give the betta somewhere to rest and hide, and maybe add a live plant or two then he/she should be happy. I've since upgraded to an 8 gallon (with a filter) which my boy loves, it's so great to see him really stretch his fins and sprint around the place! But IMO anything 1.5 gallons or over is fine for a betta, as long as the tank is properly maintained!

Last edited by KeshiaB; 10-30-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 
Aqua Aurora

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeshiaB View Post
When I had this type of tank I would do 1x 50% and 1x 100% water change per week, cleaning decor, gravel and walls when necessary. I'd also check water parameters every couple of days and do 25% water changes as needed. Really without a filter you are not going to cycle a tank so you don't need to worry about beneficial bacteria. Water changes are used to keep ammonia and nitrite in check, personally I would add a live plant/s to the tank to help absorb some ammonia too. Also use a good water conditioner like Prime!

As for heating in cold areas, I've heard some people have great results using a lamp with a black or blue bulb over top of the tank. I'd be inclined to use a small heater though, betta have similar sleep patterns to humans and I can't help but think any kind of light would be irritating! That's just my opinion though, I'm not sure of the science behind it.

My boy was happy in his 1.5 gallon. As long as you keep the water clean and warm, perform regular water parameter tests, give the betta somewhere to rest and hide, and maybe add a live plant or two then he/she should be happy. I've since upgraded to an 8 gallon (with a filter) which my boy loves, it's so great to see him really stretch his fins and sprint around the place! But IMO anything 1.5 gallons or over is fine for a betta, as long as the tank is properly maintained!
Thank you for the feedback, is beneficial bacteria not really able to build up in no tech tanks because no water movement= no real aeration?
My niece has a no tech tank with a single Marino ball, I don't thing those grow quickly enough to be able to put any big dents in ammonia levels. I might try to convince her to buy some Lucky Bamboo to add if that would absorb ammonia quicker.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Bettas being tropical fish require tropical temperatures to survive. Unless your house is heated to a consistent temperature all year round or you have some sort of heating pad under the tank that also keeps the water at a consistent temperature, you are going to need to run a heater in your tank.

In my opinion, a light over a tank is not going to be enough to keep the temperature stable. With temperature fluctuations comes stress and in fish, stress can lead to more serious problems such as disease or even death.

The only real way to minimise water changes in smaller tanks without cycling it, is to have a large enough plant mass that it uptakes the ammonia produced by your fish. Stem plants and floating plants are the best at this, as they are fast growing under ideal conditions and therefore utilise the most nutrients.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, question, tank maintenance, water changes