Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #1 
Divisible by Waffle

New Halfmoon, Won't Eat

Hey guys. My ADFs didn't make it, so I cleaned out the 2G and decided to stick with familiar territory. I found a beautiful red and purple/white/blue halfmoon yesterday, and on the whole, the little guy seems pretty vigorous. He gave me a full flare display yesterday when I approached the tank to check him out, and he swims around and explores the tank just fine.

However, he seems to be a stubborn eater. I dropped a Hikari pellet in, thinking that it'd probably be a good idea to acclimate him to his better diet even if I don't start majorly feeding him until tomorrow. He took the pellet in and gave it a good 2-minute taste before spitting it out! What a little stinker!

Do I have to go buy a different kind of food, or will he adjust to the Hikari pellets? I'd really like him to take to these, because they're the best food available to me. I'd get frozen bloodworms to supplement, but they only came in a gigantic package that could never fit in my little dorm freezer. This spring break, I'll be able to go around to some different stores in my hometown to get a reasonably sized package, but until then...

Last edited by Divisible by Waffle; 02-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Divisible by Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #2 
ScuitoAmi150

Some adjusts. Some are just picky. If he is young I'd try giving him blood worms, my young ones always seem to prefer those for a couple of days. Then I try the pellets again.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Sometimes it takes them a while to eat.. especially when you've just gotten them. I would just keep giving him pellets until he eats them.. I'm more of the 'tough love' person.. I refuse to give blood worms or brine shrimp until they are eating pellets as well. You can try presoaking them to see if he just likes them a little softer.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Agreed with 1f2f! Two of mine were extremely picky eaters when I got them! One didn't eat for 2 weeks straight. Just keep offering them.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #5 
Min

when I first got my Gossamer he didnt eat for a week & a 1/2. Finally I went a few days without feeding him & finally he started to eat. I think they just need time to adjust you dont really know what the feeding schedule is at the pet store they could have just been fed or be used to eating less.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #6 
BettaBoy1021

My betta, Red, didn't eat until today. I bought him a week ago Saturday fed him everyday and he never ate so I figured he wasn't hungry so I waited a day and tried. He took the pellet in his mouth and spot it out. Today I bought dried blood worms. He looked at them immediatley and gobbled all of them down. I guess he just doesn't like pellets. Are the bloodworms more of a treat or can they be used as their all the time food?
BettaBoy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Bloodworms make a great treat, but you can't feed them regularly. They need a staple pellet food.

Bettas kind of remind me of kids-they'll refuse the healthy stuff, but eat their treats with gusto. :P
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #8 
BettaBoy1021

haha thanks. good to know. I'm gonna have to make mr red eat his pellets! Now if only I could get my hamster molly to be quiet! Felt bad I was favoring my betta so I bought her honey cakes with seeds and shes dragging the thing everywhere! Goodness!
BettaBoy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I bet Molly is loving her honeycake. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #10 
RedBetta

My betta Reefer the one in my avatar wouldnt eat for a week after I got him. I bought little frozen cube sheets of blood worms and started feeding those and he gobbles them up without a problem.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote