Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #1 
Aluyasha

Question Fancy Goldfish for a 55G?

So my Oscar is moving into a larger tank leaving my 55 gallon empty. I have decided on getting some fancy goldfish. My question is, how many can live out their lives comfortably in a 55g? I was thinking 4 of them but just want to double check with the goldfish people on the forum before I went ahead and brought them home. :)
I know I want a black moor and a pearlscale for sure. I also like orandas and ryukins.
Any suggestions? The tank will have only fancy goldfish in it.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

4 for a 55 gallon. try to keep slower and more delicate goldies like celestials and pearl scales away from more robust breeds like ryukins and moors. ryukins tend to be a bit on the semi-aggressive side.the delicates have a harder time competeing for food and are easily injured.make sure your filter is up to snuff. i suggest either keeping them in a barebottom tank or with sand at 1" depth.and read up as much as possible.they are as misunderstood as bettas. www.goldfishkeepers.com is a good place to start.read as much of their homepage and newbie section as possible.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
4 for a 55 gallon. try to keep slower and more delicate goldies like celestials and pearl scales away from more robust breeds like ryukins and moors. ryukins tend to be a bit on the semi-aggressive side.the delicates have a harder time competeing for food and are easily injured.make sure your filter is up to snuff. i suggest either keeping them in a barebottom tank or with sand at 1" depth.and read up as much as possible.they are as misunderstood as bettas. www.goldfishkeepers.com is a good place to start.read as much of their homepage and newbie section as possible.
Thank you for the great advice. Perhaps I will rethink the pearl scale. I have had a bubble eye before and yes he was quite delicate, a little too delicate for my taste even though he was beautiful. I still want the black moor though. lol

What types of décor should I get and avoid? Right now the tank has large plastic plants and slate rocks.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 
rickey
Banned

Well live plants pretty much become a salad bar with goldfish so they are pretty much out and the same rules apply for long fin and globe eye Goldfish as with Bettas, nothing sharp or pointy.
Also goldfish love to silt so substrate needs to be fine no gravel unless it is to large to fit in the goldfish's mouth. Goldfish require excellent water quality much higher that Bettas. Water change rate will be along the the lines of your Oscar maybe a little high better generally a tank that was set up for an Oscar make a good Goldfish tank. Also pearls are very poor swimmer so I keep pearls in specie only aquariums.

R

Last edited by rickey; 10-30-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: sp
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 
Aluyasha

With my Oscar I do water changes twice a week, one is just a water change and the other is a siphon cleaning and water change. The tank has a two foot long wall bubbler and a very large Marineland filter with two bio wheels in it.
It also has a heater in it. Does the fancy goldfish need the heater? I have heard mixed advice on the subject.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #6 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the best plant for goldfish ime is anubius.some waterlily.if you use sand keep it at 1"depth.use a fine sand.for decorations do not use anything sharp.if you decide on fake plants use silk.i cautiom you on things like gravel and cave decorations.a moor and some butterfly telescopes would be cool.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #7 
rickey
Banned

Yes Fancy Goldfish will need a heater, I hold my Goldfish at 70- 72*F but I live in Florida and have to cool may stock tanks most of the year. Once again It goes back to a reasonably stable temperature they are good down to around 65*F without problems. I stop feeding at 60*F if the temperature stay down for many length of time.

R
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #8 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I currently have
1 black moor
1 bubble eyes
1 telescope eyes
1 red oranda
1 bristlenose pleco in my 55 gallon tank but is heavily filtered and the pleco I added after a lot of research and all seem to be doing fine of course water changes are done every week.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #9 
rickey
Banned

I would disagree with plecos (they simply don't bring any to the party in an goldfish aquarium) in general, but if you are going to have a pleco the bristlenose is the one.

R