Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #21 
OrangeAugust

I have Amano Shrimp in my 55 gallon sorority/community tank. I had 3 but I think one disappeared. I don't think the bettas ate it, though.
They're really hilarious. I like watching them swim. They look so silly.
They like the sinking pellets for the catfish. I've seen the shrimp do a sneak attack and come out of nowhere with its goofy swimming and grab a pellet from the surface of the water and then go sit on a plant and eat it. And they're not small pellets, either.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #22 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

CPO do the same thing! Only they are like trapdoor spiders: They jump out, grab a pellet and back up really fast to their hidie hole. I've seen my Amanos do it, too. It's amazing what they can get in their little "hands."
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #23 
Quinn

Hey Russell, can CPO be housed with Betta with longer fins, or will they damage them/kill them, as I have read they can't be with long fins, but I feel like I've seen you say different? I wonder if they would fare better with my brat then RCS, because if the Amano stand up to him and slap him with their whip like feelers then he backs off, but the cherry shrimp running, that was all too fun for him.
Do they also have a very, very small bioload?
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #24 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

They have a small bioload.

I love them. But there's a caveat:

They stay mostly on the bottom so if the Betta messes with them, they are in the CPOs' territory. Leander got up close and personal and I guess when he turned around one of the CPO grabbed his tail. After that happened twice, he stopped messing with the CPO. It only took once for Little Willie to learn.

There was no fin damage to either one and I don't see how a CPO could kill a Betta since they're so tiny. Their claws are tiny, too. They actually fell off both Leander and Little Willie within a second or two; and none of them were any worse for wear.

All three of my Bettas are OHM or close so there's lots of finnage. I only noticed the CPO being able to grab a Betta's tail when I thinned out the "carpet" so the front of the tank is more bare than it was; that may have something to do with it. I'm replanting the DHG just in case.

It's good you're asking questions.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 10-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #25 
Quinn

Mmm then maybe not the best match for this guy, he likes hanging around the bottom of the tank, and I wouldn't want to take away from either of their comforts.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #26 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Mine still slither through the DHG, Blyxa Japonica and Micro Chain Swords; they just don't try to grab the CPOs' Crab Cuisine any more.

Also, I feed the Bettas last which gives every one else a chance to find their food.

You might try one; that way it won't be territorial with other CPO. And have a back-up plan. The nice thing about CPO and RCS is you can have two CPO or a dozen RCS comfortably in a 2.5 gallon aquarium.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #27 
OrangeAugust

What's a CPO?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's a dwarf crayfish :)

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #29 
Quinn

So CPO are also fine alone? I only ever saw mention of pairs or trips, so I wasn't sure. Maybe I will try eventually then. Thanks! (and sorry for hijacking the thread OP)