Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1 
nobbles

Help

My sorority is sick. But I can figure out with what. They are very lazy, sit on the bottom. All 3 of them round the corner filterthe filter draws in water slowly where they are sitting. They some times come up for air, but today stopped coming up for food. They did eat about 12 hours ago. They also hang tail down when ever they stop in the water and kind of sink. Than about 1 hour ago one was swimming, but rapidly and darting in different directions. Than jumped out the wateR and hit the lid. I have added betarelax, its plant extracts, helps to control fungi and bacteria also has some minerals in it. Thought this may help. I have done a 70 percent water change when I first saw the syptoms. And changed 5 litres today. Its not a rapid progression but they are getting worse.

Any ideas what this is from? They where being conditioned for breeding.
nobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IME-when a fish shows that type of behavior...something is really wrong with the water-either a water quality issue from a toxic substance that accident fell in, forgotten dechloranator or not enough used water too hot or too cold from a malfunction heater or even a stray volt from a broken heater....

I would make a 50% water only change and double dose the dechlorinator ASAP-check the temp and heater for cracks....turn off the light for now and hold food

Need more info too....copy/paste/complete the info sheet in the disease/emergency section and add to your thread-more detailed info the better-but right now its important to get that water changed ASAP-even if you just did it-be sure and check the temp and try to match it within a few degrees to avoid other issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #3 
nobbles

I am going to take these fish out the tank. The plec that is in there has been fine. Heat is at 25 dgrees so is fine. Ill check the heater. But im gping to move the fish out of there and start the tank again. I battle to get decent females here and cant loose all my breeding females in one shot. I have been chanign 50% of the water every day now for 3 days. Aboslutely no change from the fish.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #4 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbles View Post
My sorority is sick. But I can figure out with what. They are very lazy, sit on the bottom. All 3 of them round the corner filterthe filter draws in water slowly where they are sitting. They some times come up for air, but today stopped coming up for food. They did eat about 12 hours ago. They also hang tail down when ever they stop in the water and kind of sink. Than about 1 hour ago one was swimming, but rapidly and darting in different directions. Than jumped out the wateR and hit the lid. I have added betarelax, its plant extracts, helps to control fungi and bacteria also has some minerals in it. Thought this may help. I have done a 70 percent water change when I first saw the syptoms. And changed 5 litres today. Its not a rapid progression but they are getting worse.

Any ideas what this is from? They where being conditioned for breeding.
Im by no means an expert, but I can tell you my own experience. I recently got several female Bettas from my local pet stores, Petsmart and Petco. They had the same systems as yours are having now, (except the darting around). They did have the fins that were kinda clamped and droopy, they barely spread there back fins out at all. Well I put them each in 1/2 gallon tanks to treat them with Methylene Blue, I used one drop in each of their tanks and starting feeding them live food (mosquito larvae) I collected outside in some clean water I left out just for the purpose to feed my fish. They also eat good quality pellets, but the live food entices them to eat when they're not really wanting to and then its a real pick me up to them. ALL my fish with in 24 hrs showed a noticeable difference in their fins and activity. I treated them according to the directions on my Methylene Blue for three days. By the end of the treatment there color was more vivid and there fins were held open in a fan as they should be. I would suggest you try the Methylene Blue with your girls to. If you can't get live food just feed them the best you can, but if they quit eating most likely only live food will entice them enough to start them back.
That's been a couple months ago since then and in that time they are even more beautiful healthy fish. I continue to feed them live food and frozen bloodworms and there Betta pellets as well.
I hope you can figure out something to help your fish. Good luck! Post how it goes with them.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #5 
nobbles

Thanks will try, they seem to have a bit of itch as well now. But one thing i cant figure out is why they are so close to the filter, its as if they want this water to be flowing over them. Can either be to get good quality oxygen as they arent moving or the flow of water on their scales could have something to do with it. I took one of the out and out here in a seperate tank to see if she gets her movement back.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #6 
Kithy

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #7 
nobbles

Thank is heated to 25 degrees, around 72 degrees the way you guys measure it. It is a 10 gallon. There is a plec and 3 betta girls in the tank. All have gotten along for a month now. Colour hasnt really changed in the fish, they still look good not stressed. I have a corner filter in the tank that does the aeration. I have to other set ups like this and those fish are happy as a fish can be. All get the same additives, bettarelax. They eat the same pellets as one of my top males, and they get blood worm once a week and daphina once a week. I do a 50% water change once a week, i live in durban south africa where its summer now so alot of water evaporates. so i top up the tank with 5litres of water every second day ontop of water changes. The tank is planted. No history of these 3 being sick. Only had them for a month and was conditioning them to breed. I am now a little worried on constipation as they haven't eaten for 2 days but look bloated. One of the fish is now flicking her body against structure in between the darting around. But mainly they all huddle as close to the bottm of the filter as possible. I will get water tested tomorrow morning, but doubt my fish shop knows what they are doing in this regard. these fish are under a year old. tank is heated and has a digital temp gauge the same as all my tanks. I use the same water for all my tanks and non of the other fish are sick. I did move a siamses algea eater out the tank and put him with one of my males, but no sypmtoms of being sick. The plec in the tank is fine.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #8 
rickey
Banned

I'm going with a water quality issue.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #9 
nobbles

i have removed one fish from the tank, put her in a seperate tank with new water. If she responds i will remove all the fish and clean the hell out of that tank and re-cycle it.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #10 
sunlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbles View Post
Thanks will try, they seem to have a bit of itch as well now. But one thing i cant figure out is why they are so close to the filter, its as if they want this water to be flowing over them. Can either be to get good quality oxygen as they arent moving or the flow of water on their scales could have something to do with it. I took one of the out and out here in a seperate tank to see if she gets her movement back.
You saying they have a bit of itch? Make sure they don't have ich or velvet.

Ich : You will see white like a salt grains on the fish, also fish will dart, scratch on objects. Actually velvet will have similar behavior symptoms. The same scratching, darting. Check the pictures, they are example of ich and velvet
https://www.google.com/search?q=bett...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Velvet:Velvet is hard to spot, but can be best spotted with a flashlight. Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote