Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #1 
Iamtracy

rate my tanks plz

Please tell me what you think of my betta tanks. Please include input for corrections. Thanks!

1st tank is a double. I know it's not divided evenly. Long story!

2nd tank. There is a betta in here, but he is either very shy or just plain doesn't like my face.

3rd: My ever-so-handsome black betta. He's alot of fun. As is this particular snail... check him out...

4th: I really like this tank, but it doesn't photograph well. Please note there is a cave in this tank. This betta doesn't seem to have any troubles using the cave.

Ok... I hope the pictures aren't too big.
any input?

Thanks
Iamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 
doggyhog

I think they look great!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 
Jayy

nice tanks!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtracy View Post

they are all really cute but the plants in this one are the same ones that my little girl got cuoght in and died.... so just be very careful, but all the tanks are adorable!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #5 
Iamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
they are all really cute but the plants in this one are the same ones that my little girl got cuoght in and died.... so just be very careful, but all the tanks are adorable!
Oh no! I wonder if the plants have anything to do with this particular betta's lack of socialization?!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Looks good. How big is the second tank? I noticed you have a mystery snail in there.. just so's you know mystery snails are major poopers so they require a minimum of 2.5 gallons themselves. So if you have a m.s. and a betta in any tank less than 5 gallons I would do at least 2 water changes a week.

Make sure the bubbles in the last tank don't bother your betta.

Besides that they look good. The tanks you have the snails in you may need to add a calcium source to your water if you see their shells starting to deteriorate.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Nice tank! The second one is my favourite, looks great.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #8 
Iamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Looks good. How big is the second tank? I noticed you have a mystery snail in there.. just so's you know mystery snails are major poopers so they require a minimum of 2.5 gallons themselves. So if you have a m.s. and a betta in any tank less than 5 gallons I would do at least 2 water changes a week.

Make sure the bubbles in the last tank don't bother your betta.

Besides that they look good. The tanks you have the snails in you may need to add a calcium source to your water if you see their shells starting to deteriorate.
2nd tank is a 5 gallon, but the 3rd tank is only a 3 gallon and theres a snail in that one too. Question to you: I filter these tanks every 3rd day, with a tetra 5-10 gallon filter. Is this as helpful as I hope it is as far as cleaning the tanks? I also do 25-30% water changes about once a week, mostly cuz of this

Thank you for your input.

Also, what is a "calcium" source? Can you recommend something?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

What do you mean you 'filter every 3rd day'? Unless your tank is cycled there's really no point in a filter and just having a filter in there some of the time doesn't help at all. What a filter does is aerate the water by moving it around.. it does catch some small particles but most of your fish wast and excess food is going to be in your gravel so you need to do water changes to clean it.

The tanks with the snails in them have to have a filter full time because snails need aerated water to live. A calcium source can be a small piece of cuttlefish bone or cleaned egg shells put in your filter cartridge. You don't need a lot.. just a tiny piece and you'll have enough. When you put it in you have to be careful because your water can get too hard and affect your fish if you put too much in.

In an uncycled tank you need to do at least one 100% change a week. I highly suggest you get filters and cycle the two tanks with the snails. The 3 gallon is ok but you need to be doing at least 2 water changes a week.. after you cycle.. while its not cycled I would be doing at least 3 water changes a week and vacuuming.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #10 
TeenyTinyTofu

How big is that 4th tank?
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote