Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

My computer acting weird so i can't write everything i want to. Hopefully my friend will fix it for tomorrow but one thing that i want to say. I would keep 88* for a little bit longer though.
I do have a few more tips that i will post tomorrow hopefully.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #22 
ANHEL123

Hey Lefi,i am very sorry about your dad:( I really hope he will feel better.
If you think that filters still too strong make sure you baffle them because they can stress bettas very much. And also make sure they don't get suck in the intake . I read a few people had the problem like that.
You was using salt , did you stop it? You can't use it linger than 14 days and if he getting better with the temp you really don't need salt. You can use salt later for his fins if you think they getting worse. Temperature will help with ich without even salt. With the temp the ich just simply can't end the cycle and die.

About 2.5 gall tank even if you would not treat him you would still need to do 2-50% water changes minimum a wk. And since he has some issue more water changes are really better. Not sure why he is getting blind though and his color is dull , really not good symptoms. I would hold 88* a little longer to make sure no ich hide in the gills.
I was thinking if he sees his reflection may be he is biting his tail. Check those pictures with tail biting
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Old 11-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #23 
Lefitte

Thanks Anhel! My dad came home the other day and is doing well.
The filter in Kirei's tank has mysteriously solved it's own problem xD The flow on it has calmed to a very slow rate. It's still working fine but I think the added filter I put in there settled into place, it's perfect! I have some foam filter in the intake as well to slow that down too and I haven't seen any problems there so far.

I have stopped using salt. I've read some things that say that some studies show ich surviving the temperature change, even up to 90 degrees. This evening I did a 100% water change and rinsed everything, all the gravel, and replaced all filter material. I'm hoping that this helps wipe the ich out for good. It does however look like Chi has finrot again so I'm upping water changes to as many 50% changes as I can, hoping for daily. I also found a little glass 'fish bowl' shaped bowl at Walmart and I'm using that instead of cups to hold Chi during water changes. He seemed to do well tonight and I tried to stress him as little as possible. I also put the Amazon Compacta in a temporary vase [full of water] since it's been looking poor. This should help it recover on its own.

In my 10g things are going fantastic. As I mentioned, the filter is working just right for him. I've acquired a few more little decorations and I got a leaf hammock [I got one for both of the boys]. I also added the Marimo moss ball finally. I bought it at the same time as Kirei but it's been in quarantine. It's looking perfectly healthy and I felt that it was time to add it to his tank. Seeing no illness or signs of ich, I've turned his tank down to the normal 80 degrees. He doesn't need to be so high and the moss ball will be happier with a lower temp too.

I took some pictures tonight.
Both tanks. Chi on the left, Kirei on the right. I usually have a sight blocker between the tanks but it fell and I haven't found it since cleaning it, totally forgot until now.
Chi's terrible tail. My poor boy looks so awful. His coloring is absolutely terrible and his stress stripes haven't gone away for weeks. I'm amazed everyday that he's still alive.
Kirei lookin' pretty His tail looks a little ragged here but it's not. The tips are black, though see through. Things are looking really well for him. My little spoonhead.
Lefitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

I am glad your father doing well!
Hmm about ich i read that it just can't complete its life cycle and just simply die with the temp above 88* .
Bettas hammocks ,make sure there is no metal wire inside . I never had them but people saying there is a metal wire that can rust and can give them infection. So just check on it. I think they don't put the metal wire any longer , it was an old version of the hammock. But just in case check.
Not sure why Chi's tail looks like that. And you don't have filer in his tank right? If he is acting healthy and eating just do water changes + stress coat and observe . If his tail will get worse you will need to treat him. Is his tank still heating 88* or your stopped it? You sure he don't have ich any longer? Did you hold the temperature at least 4-7 days after you saw it last? I am thinking he might have secondary infection after ich. If the edges look black and discolored, receding , ''smudged'' then its fin rot. You can try to treat with API Triple Sulfa. API Triple sulfa very good medication for the fin rot. Try to see for a few days and see if it will start healing . Usually if its healing you will see clear, transparency white edges.

Kirei is gorgeous!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #25 
gizmo4

Is bigger really better?

Ms. Blue's original tank was one gallon with an LED light and I felt sorry for her so I decided to move her from the ghetto to the castle. I tried to put her in a larger tank with live ferns and much more and she had all kinds of things go wrong. See my post at gizmo for pictures.
I have had Ms. Blue for 4 months and today I can say she is healthy and happy. I have her in a 1.2 gallon tank, heater for night, 5 watt light for day, plastic plant and hammock. I use only Culligan water with 10 drops of conditioner. Today I tested the water (a week ago I changed the tank) the reading were Nitrate: 0; Nitrite: 0; Hardness: 0 very soft; Chlorine: 0; Alkalinity: 40 and PH: 40.
This tank has a immersible pump (2 watt) and undergravel filter system. I have put the undergravel filter under her stones but have not hooked up the pump. Waiting for someone to share about the flow.
Good luck with the new larger tank. As for me I had to let go of my EGO and do what was best for Ms. Blue. She likes her ghetto home.
gizmo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #26 
Lefitte

Just to clarify, I didn't upgrade any tanks. I have Chi in his original 2.5 gal and then I got another 10gal in which I have Kirei. =]

Unfortunately, Chi's condition has declined tremendously. His tail is nearly gone. The temp is still up, I haven't changed it at all. Yes, his tank is filtered. Tonight I did another 30% water change and added 1teaspoon of AQ Salt. I hope this helps him. He can't really swim, he's been floating on his side most of the time and I do checks every time I'm near the tank to see if he's still breathing. It's been this way for the past week or so. I really hope he starts improving but I think it would be a miracle at this point especially since I'm not sure what all is wrong anymore. I think there is one little piece of ich still on him, which I took for a loose scale but it still hasn't fallen off so I'm really not sure. I haven't seen any more ich except for that piece since I did that 100% water change the last week of October.

It is exceptionally hard to tell if Chi has finrot or doesn't because his fins are dark, blacks and blues, and since being sick he's lost most of his color but the past couple days it's been clear that he's got finrot. I'm hoping the salt will help because in his condition I don't think adding another chemical would be a good idea.

Does anyone have any ideas on how long I should quarantine my albino bristlenose pleco? Right now he's in Chi's tank but I'd really like to get him out of there so that he doesn't also get sick. My plan has been to move him into the 10 gal [there is a 20gal in the future which will be his adult home as well, the 10g was originally meant as a quarantine tank with Kirei taking over Chi's tank when he died but that, happily, hasn't happened and he seems to really really enjoy all that room. He's VERY active]. So as it stands I don't have a quarantine tank but I do have a vase which holds about a quarter to a half gallon of water and is currently holding my plant on quarantine but it's too small for my pleco. Really not sure what to do with him at the moment. He appears healthy despite having such a sick tankmate.

Kirei, in his 10gal, is doing fantastic still. His personality is developing in really fun ways.

Good luck with Ms. Blue!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #27 
Bombalurina

Hi Lefitte

I hope things are picking up for both your dad and your fish. My compliments on your pretty tanks and their stunning inhabitants.

I just wanted to ask about your pleco - I'm a little worried. Which tank is he in? Either one is going to be too small long term. If he's a smaller breed, like a bristlenose, he'll get to be about 6 inches long, and will need a 20 gallon. If he's a common, then 55-75 gallons is more realistic. Either way, plecos have a huge bioload and I worry that by keeping him in the smaller tank - whichever one it is - his growth may be stunted, and the water will be made nasty for the betta he shares with.
If he's still in the 2.5 with your sick boy, those temperatures have got to be hurting him. Plecos are sub-tropical, meaning they prefer things below 78. They make popular pond fish in warmer areas for this reason.

If your poor ichy boy isn't picking up, I think it's time to turn to harder drugs than salt and heat. I have had success with a number of ich medications, including Wardley's Ich-Away and one by Blue Planet (though I suspect that is limited to Australia).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #28 
Lefitte

Ah I had a post here and my internet said NOPE.
Anyway, my pleco is an albino bristlenose pleco. He's currently about an inch and a half and has grown a little in the month and half I've had him. He is still in the 2.5 with Chi and I'd like to move him to the 10g but I have a problem... No quarantine tank. The 10g that Kirei is in was supposed to be the quarantine tank for the 20g I plan to get in the future, which will be my pleco's official home. I've been wondering about the temperatures too, I definitely didn't plan to have the temps so high for so long. And unfortunately my hours have been cut at work recently so I'm super short on money and can't buy something to function as a quarantine tank for him at the moment. My only options are a bowl I use for tank cleanings which is a little bigger than one of those cups bettas come in [maybe twice the size] or a vase which is about twice the size of the bowl and currently housing my Amazon Compacta since it hasn't been doing well in those conditions.

I do have some Kordon's Ich medication but it uses copper and I'm not sure how to use that, I don't really know much about it and there seems to be a lot of conflicting things about it. On top of that, I don't want my pleco Alby in there if I do use it so I'm back to square one. As for the Ich in general, I don't know for sure if he still has it. I've only seen that one little piece that I thought was a loose scale so it has me questioning things. His main problem right now is finrot.

Do you think that the finrot might be causing his swimming problems? Due to the bouts of illness and this newest case of finrot, Chi extremely little tail left. He's been having trouble keeping upright and he's been floating on his side a lot [so I have to check to make sure that he's still breathing]. With him being so very sick and sensitive to changes, I'm really worried about adding any new medications. I've started a salt regiment though and will be doing 30-40% water changes as often as possible, hopefully every day to every other day. Since I don't dare do a full water change with him being so sick, I have to be very careful not to compound the salt measurements too. *sigh* my poor boy. He's fighting hard and I'm doing everything I can to help him.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

sorry i don't remember what i was saying before so i will probobly repeat so forgive me if i already said it.
First if your other guy in his 10 gall is happy don't forget DO NOT CROSS -CONTAMINATE ANYTHING BETWEEN 2 other fish.

As for your other fish i don't even know what to say since they should not be in the same tank, and i don't blame you because you didn't expect that you will have such problem. Its just i guess you learned it hard way just like most people. If your room is worm enough to keep the fish without a filter i would use anything to separate them. And i don't even think that your platy is tolerant to the salt so you can't treat betta if they both in the tank. I actually not sure if platy are tolerable to the salt. And he has difficulty to swim because of fins -take the filter out. .

Also the major problem that you don't do enough water changes. For 2.5 gall with 2 fish you need to do way more water changes.
Also you saying that you don't dare to do full water changes since he is sick. Well actually when fish is sick you need to do daily full 100% water changes. I can give you a few links that are just amazing check them out i will put them for you below.. . Its just amazing how much daily full water changes helps.
Chi might have what my 3 year old had, he was3 at that moment. It was 5 month ago.My 3 year old lost fins. He became she really , no fins left. He could not hold himself upright because of that. I treated him with 3 tsp/gall aquarium salt -14 days , daily 100% water changes + about week after the salt i treated him with API Triple sulfa. Than i thought that he still has issues and didn't recovered completely and about 2 month later i treated him again with the salt.(3tso/gall and daily water changes) He recovered and his fins grew back with time . Chi has issue for long time and it will be more difficult for him to recover though. But he needs more water changes.

I don't know why people afraid to do full water changes. Here is a few links check them out. How bettas recovered with daily 100% water changes.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=275929&page=4
ALL THE SAME FISH

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=275929&page=2

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=275929&page=4

Post #34 and 36 page 4 completely comparison from day 1 to today

ANOTHER POST THE SAME FISH CHECK THIS OUT . ALL WITH full water changes 100%
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=291601

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=291601&page=4

I can give you a few more threads so you have idea about that.
And for the 10 gall its also really better to do more water changes than 25-30%. For 10 gall you need to do WEEKLY 50% with the gravel vacuuming and filter media swish/rinse in the tank water. Even though water seams to be clean there is still a lot of debris under the gravel and also the filter gather a lot of gunk on them .So all that water changes and filter media cleaning are really important.

About Chi if you don't see any ich on him than i guess he don't have it, because if he would have it than your other fish that in the same tank will have it. And + if he would have one spot than it would spread to the body.
Is he eating? I also fed my sick betta with frozen blood worms which i think also helped since it has a lot of protein and helps immune system

Last edited by ANHEL123; 11-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #30 
Bombalurina

I sympathise with the work hours - lack of finances is so very limiting!

If you do have a few spare dollars, a large plastic storage tub will do the job of a qt tank - here in expensive Australia we managed to find a 140 litre (40-ish gallons) tub for $30 in the dollar shop. A ten gallon one would easily do the job for you. As long as the room is warm, you shouldn't need a heater for your pleco for now. :)

Fin-rot is definitely going to be contributing to Chi's swimming problems. If you can get Alby out of the tank, I would reduce to water level to about a gallon for Chi - it will mean he has less distance to cover when he needs to breathe. As Anhel has suggested, you probably need daily 100% change for him, especially since the tank is so overstocked. Plecos are really filthy fish, so the water will be getting ammonia-fied pretty quickly. If he is stressed by 100% changes, two 75% changes per day would do.

If he doesn't have ich, that's great - one less thing his little body has to fight. To help combat the fin rot, I would use (if you can afford them) Indian Almond Leaves, StessCoat or similar (I like Seachem Stress Guard - it doesn't make my water as gunky). The best thing you can do for fin-rot is to keep the water super clean. If there's no ich, I'd lower the temperature back down to about 82-84. The warmth will encourage regrowth, but will be a bit better for the pleco. Chi will probably also not mind a lower temperature for a while.

Anhel has picked up on another important point - a high protein diet is really important for Chi right now. If you can't afford blood worms or other stuff, I would catch mosquitos or mosquito larvae. If you have mozzies in your area, put a bucket of water outside and just let it get stagnant. You should get a nice crop of wrigglies growing in it. If you catch these, you can feed them to Chi with a pair of tweezers. The wriggling should catch his attention, although he may be suspicious at first. These are baby mosquitos, or live bloodworms, and are full of protien.

If you've been using salt for a prolonged period of time, I'd take a break from it - if you use too much, he will simpy adapt to it and it will lose its effectiveness.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote