Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #1 
truthequalslies

Question co2? plants for my betta tank

Ok so I recently got a bananna plant for thisbe's tank wich since has been upgraded from 2 to 20 gal and I wouls like to add more plants but I heard I would need a co2 diffuser I tried to do research but only found diy difusers and places to buy them so my questions are: do I need one? Why are they totatlly necessary? Will they in any way harm my fish? And if anyone could just fill me in on anything I need to know about them this is my first ever live plant and I want to get a sorority started with all live plants for my girls since it would be best for them
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 
Hadouken441

I wrote this for someone else here but here. Let me know if you have any questions. Thats my generator and diffuser design haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
Ok Ill help haha

Supplies

-Airline Hose (Ceramic is better, plastic standard is fine)
-Check Valve (Walmart, Petco, Petsmart etc)
-2 Liter bottle (with lids)
-two 20 oz bottles (with lids)
-knife/scissors
-Sponge
-Air stone (wood or ceramic, standard is fine too)

Co2 Ingredients

-1 tbsp Yeast
-1 tbsp baking powder
-1 cup sugar
-water

First Cut a hole into 2 liter bottle lid using knife. Make sure the hole is smaller than the circfumfrance than the airline tubing.

Cut the airline tube at an angle so its at a point. Pull the airline tube through the lid hole. If having trouble use pliers. Put lid back on bottle. Should look like this.

Cut airhose about 1 1/2 feet. Now get your 20 oz bottle and poke 2 holes in the lid. Run hose COMING from 2 liter bottle down through the lid and into the bottle closer to the bottom. On the other hole have the rest of the air hose coming OUT of the lid but keep closer to the lid. Fill up bottle about halfway with water. Heres Example

So the hose coming FROM the 2 liter is under the water and the hose coming OUT of the 20 oz is above the water.

Now after the hose coming from the second bottle, cut the airline again about 1 foot. Insert Check Valve. Make sure arrow is pointing AWAY from the bottle. Connect rest of hose

Not lets make the diffuser.

Cut your last 20 oz bottle in half or less (depending on you) and at the neck of the bottle, poke a hole completely through. Now take your sponge and cut it small enough so it can fit through drinking hole and run your airline through it with the sponge and connect your airstone.

Lets make the generator formula.

Well basically mix all the ingredients together with warm water (not too hot) in the 2 liter bottle and shake it up. I add the sugar first and mix that up first untill it looks dissolved then the baking soda and then the yeast.

Close caps on everything and wait!! The co2 will start coming out in about 40 mins- 1 hour and if your airstone is producing bubbles your did everything right!!

All around this cost me only like 10 dollars lol so its a great cheap way to grow plants

Keep your generator (2 liter bottle) either level with the tank of higher if possible. The 20 oz bottle with water in it is like a safety bubble counter thing. Sometimes the co2 isnt the cleanest and its better to have the bottle water catch the gunk rather than your tank catching it (personal experience :D )

Let me know if you have questions!!
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #3 
truthequalslies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
I wrote this for someone else here but here. Let me know if you have any questions. Thats my generator and diffuser design haha
How often do I need to change the concoction?
Do I realy need to hav a chek valve? I have one but I don't think it works :(
Will it affect anything else in my tank?
Do I need to keep the co2 content @ a certain level?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #4 
Hadouken441

The only way to control the co2 level is by how much// how little yeast you add. More means more bubbles, less means less bubbles.

Check valve is just used incase your tube for someone reason decides to back cyphin and you get a yeast bomb in your tank (lost 3 tetras this way) you dont need it if your Co2 generator is at a higher level than your tank (bookshelve, window ledge, etc.)

It affects everything else in a good way. Co2 lowers your PH but not at a high level. Keeps your water super super clean.

You change the concoction about every 2-3 weeks. Or when your second bottle filled with water starts to not bubble anymore (you'll no what i mean :D)

Oh and to update the diffuser part. Just buy a Ceramic Stone. A lot cleaner looking and it diffuses bubbles really really finely.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #5 
truthequalslies

Awesome ^-^ I have all I need then except the sponge lol Ill prolly find one laying around :) thankyou so mutch ^-^
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #6 
Hadouken441

Dont worry about making the half bottle with sponge if you havent already made it yet!! But if you did no worries man haha! Show some pics when your done mate
Old 02-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #7 
truthequalslies

I haven't got around to it yet I'm waiting for the 2 liter of pepsi to get empty O.o we don't drink alotta soda @ my house lol so I don't need the halfbottle an sponge? Why? What's it for? Or just makes it look spiffy?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #8 
Hadouken441

It makes finer bubbles and the water will diffuse the co2 better. and you dont have to look at an ugly half bottle haha
Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #9 
truthequalslies

I just realized I could use my undergravel filter insted of a halfbottle with airstone since itsprettymuch the same thing minus the sponge or is it better to have the stone @ the bottom of the tank since the undergravel filter releases them @ the top of the tank?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #10 
Hadouken441

to be honest just try it out! what make work for me may not work for you. Try your method and if you feel it doesnt dissolve co2 fast enough then try something else! I just barely ordered this last night so i should get it next week. Maybe you can get it too. Free shipping!!

http://aqmagic.com/store/product_inf...pment-diffuser