Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1 
sponge1234

breeding plecos

Hi all, I know they are'nt bettas but, how do you breed bristlenose plecos in a 20 gallon NPT?
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The way I stimulate my BN plecos to spawn in my soil based tanks-First I have some type of cave, real wood for them to rasp, good diet with fresh veggies-along with some protein of some type-I like to use live red worm or I will humanly euthanize a large guppy (its important that the dead fish be healthy-sometimes I get lucky and will find one that died of natural causes) -but a good quality meaty/protein wafer will work too.

Once I know my breeding pair are healthy, I have provided proper nutrition to support spawning, provided proper item/location for the clutch of eggs.

I allow the tank to get kinda warm over 2 days-I will add a couple of heater and get the water temp in the upper 80's-low 90"sF-Then I make a massive water change 75-80% and refill the tank as fast as I can will cold water-maybe 65-68F-I usually will have a clutch of eggs within 24h. I set my heater to 76F range after the water change to maintain the temp.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #3 
sponge1234

Thanks OFL, will this work in a 20 gallon NPT? There will be some gouramis in there. Can I breed a albino with a normal to get a ~50/50 batch of fry?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

That is the only type of systems I use...soil based heavy planted tanks....I keep and spawn freshwater fish as natural as one can in a closed system.

As long as both are the BN type or species- then yes, you can breed them-albino is just a color morph-hard to say if you will get a 50/50 mix on the colors-but you should get some of both regardless IME.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #5 
sponge1234

And what do I feed the fry?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I feed my pleco fry the same thing I feed the adult plecos...fresh veggies and algae wafers. I do feed a bit of protein to the fry too-usually a meaty type of wafer at least weekly. You can get the fry conditioned pretty fast to your feeding schedule-soon they look for you and wait to see what you will drop in the tank.