Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 
alyssaanne

Question worried about the new guys eating habits, filter?

So as some know I got an absolutely gorgeous new betta. I divided my five gal mini bow and put my spazz Nori in one half (he's now much calmer) and the new guy in the other side. I've had him like 4 days not and I never * saw him eat. He was lying at the bottom most of the time. Not moving much. I do attribute some of that to his fins but it's not normal. So I removed the filter (that was on his side) and I got him to the top for food. But now I have no filter. I'm pretty sure I need one but I need opinions. it's a five gal cycled tank with two betta and about five ghost shrimp. I would want an under water filter that I could control the flow direction on. The fluval u1 seems awesome but I figure it's too strong/big for a five gal. Any thoughts on what I'm thinking and/or low flow recommendations?
alyssaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I hate to say this, but 2 Betta and 5 ghost shrimp is WAY too many for a 5 gallon, even with a filter. Check out this website on tank sizes and stocking - it's very informative: http://aqadvisor.com/
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #3 
alyssaanne

Really? Many people keep there bettas in 2.5 gals and smaller (though I wouldn't go smaller) and I'm under the impression that ghost shrimp have a tiny bioload? Nori had the tank to himself and would act crazy. Chasing the glass, darting, and tail biting. Since giving him less space he's slowed down, I haven't seen any missing chunks from his tail and he has an awesome bubble nest working.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 
alyssaanne

I also have my ammonia reading at zero.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5 
alyssaanne

No other input?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #6 
sainthogan

2.5 gallons can be ok for one Betta if you do 2-3 water changes. If you have a 5 gallon and one Betta, you only need to do 1 water change weekly. If you have 2, you'll need to do 2-3 changes a week. A lot of people successfully do 2 Betta in a 5 gallon tank. If you have more than that, you'll need to do more than that. Ammonia is not the only thing you need to worry about, you also need to worry about nitrates and nitrites and waste.
More than 2 inhabitants in a 5 gallon tank will produce a lot of waste and basically turn your tank into a watery toilet if you don't clean it often enough. You can do it, but I would recommend 5-6 water changes weekly with 3 of those being a good deep cleaning of the gravel and anywhere waste can get with a good quality gravel cleaner.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 
alyssaanne

I'm OK with that. I usually do very small water changes every other day anyways. About the same amount of work. Plus it gives me an excuse to rearrange decor. But I still haven't gotten any filter rexommendations?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 
sainthogan

I use tetra whisper filters in my 5 gallon tanks, but the ones I have are adjustable. If yours is not, you can baffle the flow so that it doesn't bother them so much. People have had good luck using a sponge or part of a water bottle to slow the flow. I don't have any experience with under gravel filters. I have however heard both bad and good about them. The good I have heard is that it slows the flow and doesn't bother the fish. I've also heard the opposite, that it bothered the fish and they had to take it out. Other bad that I have heard is that some people's Betta fish thought it was a place to hide and buried themselves beneath it resulting in their deaths.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #9 
alyssaanne

Thanks for the info. I was curious about the under gravel filter. I will look into the terra one. :)
Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #10 
sainthogan

Not all tetra whisper filters have the flow control. For some reason, the ones that come with a tank set-up do, but the others that you buy separately don't always have one. So be sure to check the specs before you purchase.